Intel HD 620 Video drivers update - Acer, please update and distribute new drivers

LaSimo
LaSimo Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 22 in 2018 Archives
I have an Aspire E15 and the Intel drivers for the HD620 chipset are outdated (and buggy).

Intel has fixed an issue with 3D rendering in many games and platforms (I actively participated in the bug detection and further testing of the fix), and the latest drivers for Kaby Lake based laptops are available since July.
The drivers currently available on my laptop cannot be updated, because of the "block" issued by Acer on drivers updating, and related Windows policies. This creates many issues for me and a quite big worldwide community of people that use math software (and of course also to gamers, etc..)

Since I don't want to force any default system settings for many reasons, I'm kindly asking to Acer to consider distributing updated drivers for Intel HD620 and similar, also in consideration of the Fall Update of Windows 10 that introduced the new Virtual Reality functions that are now fully supported in the latest Intel release.
Please Moderators of this forum, push this request to the Acer Team. I'm sure that all the Acer customers will benefit of updated drivers.
Thanks.

Comments

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    you can update using the vanilla Intel drivers if you uninstall the previous driver and tick to uninstall software too; you need to block windows 10 drivers update too.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • LaSimo
    I know. But didn't want to block win 10 drivers update. This is what I meant with "don't want to force system settings". This block affect all the system drivers, and AFAIK is not selective.
    I think that pushing new drivers available for Acer users benefits both the users and the company.
    Happy users and responsive company means global satisfaction, and for tech Co. it's important to show that they are always up-to-date.
    Opinions roam fast on the Web.
    Who wants a computer that can run like a cheetah but has slippers on his feet?  :)
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Try the "Have Disk Method" to manually install the driver

------------------------------------------------------------------
       Microsoft Windows* "Have Disk" Installation 
    1.  Download the latest driver from Intel (download the zip file---not the exe file) and extract/unzip it.
    2.  Go to "Device Manager". 
    3.  Expand "Display adapters" and double-click the graphics controller.
    4.  In the "Driver" tab, click "Update Driver".
    5.  Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
    6.  Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    7.  Click "Have Disk..." and click "Browse".
    8. Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you 
        downloaded, click the "Graphics" folder, and select the
        "igdlh64.INF" file. Click "Open".
    11. Click "OK" and click "Next". The operating system will install 
        the driver.
    12. Click "Close" and click "Yes" to reboot. The driver should now 
        be loaded. 

Note: These are official Intel Have Disk instructions that I modified for Windows 10.

The original instructions can be found in the driver package file "Installation.Readme" text document, but mine are better.  ;)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=96551
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I agree.
    By the way you can block only GPU driver updates but this involves registry tweaks, something that an user never had to do, in my opinion.
  • LaSimo
    @JordanB - Thank you, I was already aware of the "have disk" procedure. But even using this approach, after a while Windows overwrites the new installation with the old one  :s
    @IronFly - I guess that we both agree on avoiding touching the registry, unless "absolutely" B) needed. Windows 10 is a champion in taking control over user setting, and this upsets me a bit...
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Ok, but please don't confuse the "Have Disk" method with Intel's other manual installation method.  People often confuse the two.  They are very similar, but slightly different.

The link below is the "other method".  Please double check that you have used the "Have Disk" method that I posted in previous post.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics-drivers.html

• LaSimo
    @JordanB I'm quite sure of the difference between the various methods offered by Intel ;) and remember having tried all of them, directly supported by the Intel Team when I submitted them the bug that they fixed in July.

I remember that no method worked, because Windows (If I don't tweak the Registry, that it should be quite clear that I don't want to do) reverts any installation to the "default" one.  In "our" case, to the Acer drivers.

This is part of "the bad" side of buying a branded computer (I've always built my own desktops, but it's really far from my mind the idea of building my own laptop... hahaha), and this is why I'm asking Acer to push new drivers, that are reliable, tested in many environments (not only the software I mainly use, that can be of little interest for a big part of the world - I'm mainly talking about online gaming platforms, like e.g. Steam. A lot of people could benefit of an official upgrade. I mean, if I saw my kid tweaking the Registry of his computer, I'd cut him both hands!)

And - I repeat myself, I know I'm boring - the new drivers support all the new features introduced with the last Win update.
    I can't see any other component of a computer more directly related to VR than the GPU!

Please, Power Users of this community, if you have any direct contact with Mods/Admins/Team/whatever component of Acer family, tell them the importance of this update! (I'm just hoping that some member of the Team spends his lunch break browsing here...)
    Thank you guys for your ideas and support :)
  • SaadSB
    SaadSB Member Posts: 2 New User
    JordanB said:
    Try the "Have Disk Method" to manually install the driver

Microsoft Windows* "Have Disk" Installation 
    1.  Download the latest driver from Intel (download the zip file---not the exe file) and extract/unzip it.
    2.  Go to "Device Manager". 
    3.  Expand "Display adapters" and double-click the graphics controller.
    4.  In the "Driver" tab, click "Update Driver".
    5.  Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
    6.  Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
    7.  Click "Have Disk..." and click "Browse".
    8. Browse to the directory where you unzipped the file you 
        downloaded, click the "Graphics" folder, and select the
        "igdlh64.INF" file. Click "Open".
    11. Click "OK" and click "Next". The operating system will install 
        the driver.
    12. Click "Close" and click "Yes" to reboot. The driver should now 
        be loaded. 

Note: These are official Intel Have Disk instructions that I modified for Windows 10.

The original instructions can be found in the driver package file "Installation.Readme" text document, but mine are better.  ;)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-60-?product=96551

• SaadSB
    SaadSB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks Jordan .... The problem with the display adapter driver intel 620 hd that occurred after updating to windows 1803 is solved ...