HDD upgrade

Options
PigzMightFly
PigzMightFly Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi everyone, I've got ACER Aspire V Nitro VN7 791G I brought it almost 2 years ago and I love it, I never expected it to handle all the top games and maximum graphics settings with no stutter but amazingly it does, it was an absolute bargain for a gaming laptop. The problem I've got now is the HDD is getting full so I need to get a larger HDD, I was thinking of 4TB or bigger has anyone got any suggestions for a nice speedy 4TB+, around 128MB Cache, 2.5 inch obviously, maximum of 9mm thick, SATA III 6Gb/s, preferably 7200rpm but 5400 is ok as long as the data rate is fast enough. I've had a good look on the net but can't seem to find anything that is good enough or will fit. Also I'd like to update the SSD its 128Gb I was thinking maybe "Hyperx Predator 240Gb SSD? So if anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Cheers
Trev

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As far as I know you can install up to 2 TB HDD in this laptop. About M.2 SSD any of the brands will do, as they all are very fast. I know samsung make good SSD's, my laptop is equipped with a Toshiba THNSN5256GPU7 SSD and it isn't bad either. So when it comes to SSD the brand decides only how long it is going to last.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The laptop can't provide enough power for 4TB HDD.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2.5inch sata is the size of the drive(SSD/HDD). Sata SSD is faster than HDD and the read speed is up to 600MB/s, because the is the limit of the data transfer of SATA 3. mSATA is like sata but smaller form factor. M.2 is a type of PCI-E port meant for SSD's. It's data transfer speed can be about 5-6 times faster than a SATA3. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am not familiar with mSATA, but I think it can be connected in the place of the 2.5inch drive. You don't have a separate slot for mSATA. M.2 port is for M.2 SSDs and SATA 3 is for SATA drives.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As far as I know you can install up to 2 TB HDD in this laptop. About M.2 SSD any of the brands will do, as they all are very fast. I know samsung make good SSD's, my laptop is equipped with a Toshiba THNSN5256GPU7 SSD and it isn't bad either. So when it comes to SSD the brand decides only how long it is going to last.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• PigzMightFly

Tinkerer

Options
    cheers for the fast response. I'm surprised at the relatively small size of the HDD that can be equiped, would you know if thats a machine specific or is it WIN 10 holding it back?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The laptop can't provide enough power for 4TB HDD.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• PigzMightFly

Tinkerer

Options
    Ah right didn't think of that. would you know what form factor the SSD is IE: 2.5 inch, mSATA or M.2. you can probably tell i'm pretty new to ssd's but I'm a quick study lol.

Trev

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    2.5inch sata is the size of the drive(SSD/HDD). Sata SSD is faster than HDD and the read speed is up to 600MB/s, because the is the limit of the data transfer of SATA 3. mSATA is like sata but smaller form factor. M.2 is a type of PCI-E port meant for SSD's. It's data transfer speed can be about 5-6 times faster than a SATA3. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• PigzMightFly

Tinkerer

Options
    I know the laptop has both SSD 128GB and HDD 1TB. Sorry to be a bit of a dunce , but are you saying that my machine will take both types of SSD mSATA and M.2?

Trev
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am not familiar with mSATA, but I think it can be connected in the place of the 2.5inch drive. You don't have a separate slot for mSATA. M.2 port is for M.2 SSDs and SATA 3 is for SATA drives.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• PigzMightFly

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for taking the time and giving me all your help, I think I'm going to go for the: Seagate ST2000LX001 FireCuda 2TB SSHD 7200rpm upto 140Mb/s SATA  6Gb/s 5 Year Warranty £90.95. and the: Samsung SSD 512 Gb 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 6Gb/s interface 550Mb/s sequential read, upto 520Mb/s sequential write 10 year warranty reliability 2,000,000 hours £197.99. The reason I've listed the specs and prices is I'm hoping it might help someone else rather than them having to trawl through all the web sites I've looked at :p.

Trev

• PigzMightFly

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, just to finalize this post for anyone else interested, since the last posting I've been in contact with Acer customer support as I couldn't believe how small the upgrade possibility for the HDD was. What I found out was this Max HDD size 1.5Tb Max SSD size 256Gb. I don't think I'll bother with either seems Acer didn't have much forward thinking when it came to upgrading  :/ 
  • ven98
    Options
    I am pretty sure the limit is 2tb for hdd, they just sometimes don't know. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system