G9-593 Screen not quite smooth anymore

xavopls
xavopls Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi all,

I bought this laptop (G9-593 with i7-7700 and GTX 1070) a few months back and when I first got it I was really satisfied with it. Everything was nice and smooth, was able to run Witcher 3 / Battlefield etc with the highest settings and all that good stuff. However, I didn't get to use it for a while and after getting some windows updates (and forced driver updates, ***** microsoft) I started having some weird "stutter" of sorts. It's kind of hard to explain too, I can still play my games with high FPS (at least that's what the FPS indicator tells me, it basically never dips) but the picture simply isn't smooth anymore and kinda gives me a headache after a while. And it's not only the games, even youtube videos are having this weird stuttering feeling and it's basically driving me insane. G-Sync being on or off does not matter from what I can tell.

Due to being super smart I didn't bother creating recovery media when I first got the laptop (yeah I know it's really unresponsible) and I can't even go back to the display driver from the Acer website right now because it either fails to recognize my video card or flat out fails to install after a while despite me using DDU in safe mode prior to attempting to update (or in my case downgrade I guess) the driver.

So my question is what could I do to fix this issue? Should I contact the Acer service for a factory recovery DVD for my laptop and attempt politely refusing the Windows updates afterwards? Has anyone else here ran into something similar and managed to fix it on this model or a similar model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I had a similar problem when I installed the creators update and then rolling back to anniversary fixed it(you can roll back during the next 10 days after updating). 

In your case you can try with updating the BIOS to latest version first and uninstall geforce experience.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• xavopls
    xavopls Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Sadly I've missed the 10 day mark already, my BIOS is up to date (version 1.12) and geforce experience is already uninstalled. Guess I'll have to try and get the ISO for a previous build, hopefully that fixes it.

Really annoying we have to resort to things like this though. I'll also have to find a way to avoid the creators update.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Once I uninstalled creators update, I never recieved any notification about it second time.

You can open cortana and enter 'troubleshoot'. Under update and security(i think this is how it was called it is the last section on the list). Under it you will see 'fix with windows update'. Click on it and follow thr instructions. Make sure to run it as admin.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!