TC-780-EB11 Upgradability

nPHYN1T3
nPHYN1T3 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
So I was helping a friend pick out a machine and in theory the TC-780-EB11 is kinda the best bang for the buck in her price range but there are some caveats. I can't find any decent info on things like drive bays, SATA ports, is the PSU Molex a standard ATX and does the board support RAID. I checked the manual and a ton of sites but the info just reads like buzzword for housewives. Wasn't too long ago most the Acers I saw came with the ability to do RAID and had some drive bays but I've been seeing more of these mid towers coming with some mini atx PSU that require adapters for PSU upgrades, no storage bays, no RAID, hell some you can't even boot off add-in cards or access the BIOS and other low level features if there is a third party GPU in the machine...truly a mess...

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    as far as i know, this model has no RAID option, just AHCI and native IDE.
    PSU is standard ATX with molex etc etc
    2 SATA ports and one M.2 2280 port available
    about storage bays...i can't help you.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • michelm
    michelm Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    IronFly is right because there is no 2 sata ports for HDD. One for HDD and one for CDDrive. But you can add a second HDD via the usb3 yellow socket.

But still not raid the 2 HDD. Just used the second one as a backup drive with a backup software.
  • Jeymar
    Jeymar Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I don't know where you guys bought your TC-885-EB11, cause mine has three SATA ports and the SATA power cord has three connectors, so it was easy to install an SSD drive along with the 1 Tb HDD and the optical drive. With Macrium I cloned the OS to the  1 Tb SSD and voila. I've looked for pictures of the motherboard emplacements, but none I found had the same configuration as mine. Mine has an across the board plate supporting the HDD over the Optical Drive where I could install the SSD with the extra SATA power connector. My problem is I'd like to also install an SSD memory but I have no more SATA port available LOL. I'll live with what I got, it still works fine and fast enough for me. At 76 yrs old, I've learned that things don't always go my way.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    The TC-885 is quite a bit different from the TC-780. It does look like you can physically mount a second HDD in the TC-780, but since there's not a third SATA port it'd be less than optimal. As michelm says you could go the internal USB route, but that's not going to be as clean as a SATA connection would be.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.