Frequent random power loss Acer Aspire E5-575G-57D4

SamClemens
SamClemens Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2017 in Aspire Laptops
The laptop randomly loses power while on battery. It is independent of demand on the system resources. It is also independent of battery level. This is a persistent problem.

All power cuts: the screen and keyboard backlights turn off, all sounds go silent, and it stops responding to input. It is a full, instantaneous power loss (aside from CMOS battery, of course). The issue occurs sometimes while the system is in use and sometimes while idling. The system does not power itself back on; I must press the power key to boot it up.

For each occurrence, Windows system log shows critical kernel power event ID 41: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." Of course, this log entry is created once the system is powered on again and finds it had not been shut down properly.

Acer Care Center update says all is updated. Windows update says all is updated. However, I checked the system info and found the BIOS was version 1.25 while the most recent version available is 1.29. This morning, I stepped up from 1.25 to 1.27 and then to 1.29, so it is now up to date. I am currently using my system for its daily use on battery power. If the problem recurs, I will update.

Answers

• SamClemens
    SamClemens Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

It didn't take too long. I was reading an article on my laptop about 25 minutes ago and the power loss occurred once again. All indications are that this is a hardware issue. The laptop was purchased new. May 11, 2017 is date of first use.

I'll start tech support claim ticket under warranty.
  • DavidGrh
    DavidGrh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just leaving this here to help someone experiencing the same issue in the future. After pulling my hair out for several weeks, I finally figured out what the issue was and solved it. The thing is, the laptop is designed so that a small pin on the RAM & SSD panel on the back acts like a switch to interrupt & switch on electricity coursing to the board. The design is so that when the cover is screwed on, the pin is perpetually pushing a small button that enables power flow. When the panel is removed, for say repairs, the button is not pushed by the pin and there is no electricity coursing through the board while doing repairs. Over time, or just a slight bang, will dis-align the button and the pin and there is a sudden loss of power. What I did is add a small padding (electric tape and some glue) over the pin on the  panel so that it firmly pushes the button and a small shake or bang wouldn't loosen/mis-align the pin and button. Hope it helps