Acer Utility for SteamVR not working

mer
mer Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
hi,

i've downloaded the Utility from https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7405?b=1
then i want to install it, it says that "No SteamVR Found. Please install SteamVR first".

Well Steam and SteamVR is installed, both are even running right now, still the Acer Installer won't continue. :(
Even tried to reinstall steam and steamvr, didn't help.

Any advice?

Answers

• AussieGeekGirl
    AussieGeekGirl Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same problem. was told it has to be on C drive.. so trying that now reinstalling.
  • AussieGeekGirl
    I just tried with SteamVR being installed on drive C.. no difference.
  • mer

Tinkerer

Please don't mark it as solved, when it's not solved.
  • mer

Tinkerer

@AussieGeekGirl do you have SteamVR installed in exactly this path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR ?
  • napalmDaz
    napalmDaz Member Posts: 3 New User
    I looked into the MSI and it does two checks. One for SteamVR in the path mentioned by mer.

It also checks for a registry key to see if the main Steam app is installed. This check is a bit too basic and buggy IMO.

I solved it by creating the following registry key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam

Then create a new String value called "DisplayName" and value of "Steam".

Installer should then work and install the UWP package from the WIndows Store.
  • mer

Tinkerer

got it installed by just copying the steamvr folder over to C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR

now i can start WMR, then start SteamVR (which starts the Acer Utility in the Headset) and i got SteamVR to show the Headset as connected, but not "tracking"
    therefor i cannot continue with the room setup and i'm stuck
  • napalmDaz
    napalmDaz Member Posts: 3 New User
    You have to have them working in the cliff house first, then load SteamVR. Problem is, the buttons don't work properly so its useless.

Acer need to fix this asap as no SteamVR games that use motion controllers are playable at the moment.
  • mer

Tinkerer

That's what i did, like i said.
    1. start WMR, see that everything is working
    2. start SteamVR -> Acer Utility will get started inside the Headset automatically
    3. SteamVR detects a Headset and wants to setup a room, but the Headset is not tracking.
  • AussieGeekGirl
    > @mer said:
    > @AussieGeekGirl do you have SteamVR installed in exactly this path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR ?

YES
  • AussieGeekGirl
    > @napalmDaz said:
    > I looked into the MSI and it does two checks. One for SteamVR in the path mentioned by mer.
    >
    > It also checks for a registry key to see if the main Steam app is installed. This check is a bit too basic and buggy IMO.
    >
    > I solved it by creating the following registry key:
    >
    > Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam
    >
    > Then create a new String value called "DisplayName" and value of "Steam".
    >
    > Installer should then work and install the UWP package from the WIndows Store.

I checked and the registry key and string value are there.. identical.
  • WqqVccGbb
    WqqVccGbb Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2017
    Hi

I follow napalmDaz's comments to create registry key and installed steamVR in exactly path: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR.
    Now, I can start WMR and SteamVR via Acer Utility Tool.
    After some modified, I also start some SteamVR Game.
    I will provide more detail information.
    Please contact me by ****Edited****

This message was edited to protect member's privacy - Acer-Moses
  • AndyVR
    AndyVR Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,

i installed the Acer Utility successfull. I´m in the MR House with working Controllers.
    Wenn i try to start SteamVR it will start shortly i see the SteamVR Icon in the Taskbar, but after some seconds it is gone wihout an error message.
    So Acer SteamVR plugin is not working for me.

Andy
  • AndyVR
    AndyVR Member Posts: 2 New User
    After some testing i got it working.

I changed the Graphiccard from GTX680 to GTX1070 and the second Thing was the Monitor and the Headset must connectet to the NVidia Card. Before i had the normal Display connected to the Onbard Intel Graphic, that was not working.