Hi there, how do I upgrade/update my computer's graphics card or driver, especially for Windows 10?

Options
MWM-40
MWM-40 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
:)

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,135 Trailblazer
    edited October 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You have to rely on Windows OS and the card manufacturers(Intel) for the drivers for your model, you can not upgrade the graphics card. You could also try drivers for similar to your model, you should backup your system when you try to install different drivers as this may crash your working OS.
    So it's better to familiarise with backing up your OS and recovery methods, you can use Macrium Reflect free for this purpose and very easy to use.

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    MWM-40 said:
    Hi again Acer Community, if this graphics issue is hardware-related with my model notebook (Aspire 5830T), I was told by someone at AnswersBy.com that I would have to take it in to a local technician for upgrades/updates/repairs. I'm unsure if I want to do that, thanks again kindly for any further assistance, take care, and bye for now. :-)

Hi,
    You should have backed up your OS image with Macrium reflect free program before trying different drivers, you can recover the OS by using system restore, you can select a previous date when your system was working, please follow the instructions in this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html
    What is the reason for you to update the graphics driver in Windows 10?  I am asking because your installation normally installs the required drivers.

Answers

• MWM-40
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know my Acer model, it's an Aspire 5830T notebook, it's five years old I believe, thanks Acer Community for any help that you can provide.
  • brummyfan2
    edited October 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    You have to rely on Windows OS and the card manufacturers(Intel) for the drivers for your model, you can not upgrade the graphics card. You could also try drivers for similar to your model, you should backup your system when you try to install different drivers as this may crash your working OS.
    So it's better to familiarise with backing up your OS and recovery methods, you can use Macrium Reflect free for this purpose and very easy to use.

• MWM-40
    Options
    Hello again brummyfan2, I just tried downloading what you suggested, and the computer sent a message regarding a "fatal error", so, now what do I do? Where do I find Windows OS?, is OS "Operating System"? You mentioned "backing up" the graphics driver, I need help, because I am NOT a computer tech expert, by any means, as far as repairs or upgrades are concerned, thanks again kindly, and bye for now from sunny Canada. (Thunder Bay, Ontario) :-|
  • MWM-40
    Options
    Hi again Acer Community, if this graphics issue is hardware-related with my model notebook (Aspire 5830T), I was told by someone at AnswersBy.com that I would have to take it in to a local technician for upgrades/updates/repairs. I'm unsure if I want to do that, thanks again kindly for any further assistance, take care, and bye for now. :-)
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Options
    MWM-40 said:

Hi,
    You should have backed up your OS image with Macrium reflect free program before trying different drivers, you can recover the OS by using system restore, you can select a previous date when your system was working, please follow the instructions in this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html
    What is the reason for you to update the graphics driver in Windows 10?  I am asking because your installation normally installs the required drivers.

• MWM-40
    Options
    Hey there Acer Community and brummyfan2, how are you? If any of you have the "OptiSpeed" app installed on your computers, here is the message, word for word, that I received after doing all recent scans in the "System Advisor" section under the "Performance" tab; "Your graphics card needs to be upgraded". "Your 3D graphics performance index is 4.9, which is lower than the average system performance index of 6.2. We recommend upgrading your graphics card". Hopefully this helps explain the current dilemma that I'm experiencing with my Acer notebook, model and number Aspire 5830T-6486. It shouldn't matter that this Acer model is now five years old, I'm just glad that it's lasted this long, thanks again kindly for any assistance that you can offer, happy weekend, and bye for now from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. :-)
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    MWM-40 said:
    Hey there Acer Community and brummyfan2, how are you? If any of you have the "OptiSpeed" app installed on your computers, here is the message, word for word, that I received after doing all recent scans in the "System Advisor" section under the "Performance" tab; "Your graphics card needs to be upgraded". "Your 3D graphics performance index is 4.9, which is lower than the average system performance index of 6.2. We recommend upgrading your graphics card". Hopefully this helps explain the current dilemma that I'm experiencing with my Acer notebook, model and number Aspire 5830T-6486. It shouldn't matter that this Acer model is now five years old, I'm just glad that it's lasted this long, thanks again kindly for any assistance that you can offer, happy weekend, and bye for now from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. :-)

Hi,
    I would suggest you to take the advice from these programs with "Opti" in their name with a pinch of salt, definitely, not with all of them but some of them you need to be extra vigilant, please read the link below for more explanation, have a nice weekend.
    https://malwarefixes.com/remove-optispeed/