W510p wont reinstall Windows

stoopidpc
stoopidpc Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I have a W510P with Windows 8.1 installed at the moment which is completely fudged!!!

So all I want to do is wipe and reinstall Windows, normaly such a simple task..... BUt wth this thing, not at all!!!

I have finally managed to create a Windows 8.1 USB stick that it will boot from but when it gets to the select your language, keyboard screen, it freezes, the touchscreen doesnt work and neither does the touchpad or the keyboard.

Do I need a USB hub and external USB keyboard and mouse to be able to operate the laptop in this situation?

ANy idea?

Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Have you tried the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method yet? If not, follow this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• stoopidpc

I managed to get into that a slightly different way, I've kindof managed to do it now, but during and after reinstalling windows the internal keyboard and mouse didnt work, I had to use a USB keyboard.

After getting to the desktop the touchscreen doesnt work, nor the keyboard nor touchpad, nor USB keyboard, only a USB mouse works, this is an absolute nightmare of a laptop to work on

• JackE

>>>I managed to get into that a slightly different way,>>>

What do you mean by "slightly different". Did you actually try using the  Alt+F10 cold boot method exactly as specified in the video? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stoopidpc

I got into exactly the same options by doing a shift restart from the logon screen

• JackE

>>>I got into exactly the same options by doing a shift restart from the logon screen>>>

Yes but it was not via a cold boot method. You must totally shut down the power to the system by pressing & holding the power button till the tablet shuts down. About 5 secs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stoopidpc

What difference does it make?

I reset the PC to default (even though it isnt really factory default because it used a USB stick I had created) and it has installed ok, just been a pain in the ***** and now my problem is I need a USB hub to be able to use a USB mouse and USB stick at the same time as no drivers are installed

• JackE

>>>What difference does it make?>>>

Some of your basic input/output devices initialized by the BIOS may not work properly or at all. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Sounds like you are doing it exactly right, use a hard wired keyboard and mouse during the reinstall. What you missed was downloading the drivers from Acers support site first, so that you could reinstall them after the Windows install. Without drivers several things won't work, as you found. Simply download the appropriate drivers to another computer then install them on your tablet. I usually do either the wireless driver first, so I can just download and install the rest from the Acer site, or I install the touchscreen driver first then the network so I can ditch the wired keyboard and mouse.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

>>>I managed to get into that a slightly different way, I've kindof managed to do it now, but during and after reinstalling windows the internal keyboard and mouse didnt work, I had to use a USB keyboard.

Unless there's an issue with the recovery partition, I believe ***all*** the necessary original factory drivers should've been re-installed via the ALT+F10 cold boot method.  Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ