BIOS update on Veriton M2610G

LilGAmb
LilGAmb Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello. I am attempting to update the BIOS on a Veriton M2610G from P01.B1 to the P02.A2, to support Ivy Bridge CPUs.
Every attempt at flashing the BIOS has failed, always with the message "The File Size Does Not Match Existing BIOS in Size".
I tried with the windows Wflash installer, and I tried with a bootable DOS USB with the DOS installer, with the same outcome.

The ROM files do indeed have different sizes. The P01.B1.M2 file is 2048kb while the P02.A2.M2 file is 2560kb.

Am I doing something wrong? or did Acer put a wrong BIOS file on their download page?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P02.xx can only be updated using P02.xx versions 

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.