Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM audio default settings and levels?

hogmartin
hogmartin Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The audio I/O on my E 15 worked fine out of the box for audio playback, Cortana control, and online gaming voice chat. The speakers are a bit quiet, so I left them at 100% in the taskbar and tweaked the output levels on a per-app basis as needed. I just picked up a set of gaming headphones that connect via the combined 1/8" I/O on the right side near the USB port and tweaked some of the levels in the mixer trying to get stronger input. Now, "Hey, Cortana" doesn't work at all even using the built-in mic (Cortana doesn't respond to voice if cued manually either), and the audio has an awful tinny echo above 50% that gets worse the higher I set the output level. This occurs whether I'm using the speakers or the headphones. I have two questions: 

First, what should I set in the audio devices options to bring them back to what they were before? e.g. levels, 'listen through this device', things like that. I'd like to go back to the original settings as a starting point to work from, but unfortunately I didn't write down the original settings. Second, in the recording devices options, I have the microphone device and stereo mix device. Which should I be adjusting for the input? Is one for the built-in mic and the other for the line-in mic, or does one of the devices manage the sound levels for both microphones? If that's the case, what's the purpose of the other one?

Let me know if there's anything that I need to clarify in this question. Thanks!