Is my new Acer Aspire ES 15 really Windows 10?

WallyYorkshire
WallyYorkshire Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I bought my first laptop a month ago - it was sold to me as Windows 10. I had problems setting it up so I contacted the tecnical support team of the retailer. Whatever they did worked but it left me with the feeling that what I bought was a Windows 7 or 8 laptop that had been upgraded by them to Windows 10.

Under About in Home/System it shows Windows 10 Home, Organisation:WORKGROUP followed by a link 'connect to work or school'.

I've just showed it to a neghbour who has a new Windows 10 Home and the first thing he spotted is his doesn't mention Organisation WORKGROUP. He also showed me that his laptop is version 1703 build 15063.632. Mine is v1703 build 15063.608. He showed me how to check for Windows Updates - it said I was up to date. How can two Windows 10 Home PCs have different builds?

He also said I have a .old file (whatever that is) which proves that this wasn't windows 10 to begin with. Is this why he and I have different builds?

I've been told that it should have been sold as a Win 10-ready PC.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Yes it is windows 10. The reason why your version is older than his is that it doesn't come available for all devices at once at the same time. There reason why you have this windows.old folder is because the laptop has been updated from windows 10 anniversary to windows 10 creators which is the newest version(1703). And when there is such a major update windows copies all programmes and data you currently have in windows.old, so just in case if you want to revert back to previous version to get all the data back, which you had before updating.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!