aspire e11 will no longer boot from USB

jm19495
jm19495 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

For the most part, I've used this Aspire to try out and use different Linux distros that I've installed on USB drives.  It used to work quite well, with some exceptions. 

Sometimes a flash drive has not booted into Linux, but just booted into Windows 10 Home.  For example, about a week ago I installed Ubuntu MATE with persistence on a flash drive, using mkusb; it booted just fine;  but an attempted full installation of MATE on an identical, new flash drive, just booted into Windows. The two sticks were the same brand and model -- SanDisk USB3.0, 16GB. 

After reading IronFly's point about the GPT partition, I tested both flash drives with diskpart.  The drive that booted does show the asterisk in the GPT column, while the drive that didn't boot did not show the asterisk, so GPT was absent.  Another kudo. 

But is there a fly in the kudo ointment?  Is the presence or absence of GPT formating the full answer to the problem?  Or is there a problem specifically with the Acer Aspire, with firmware or BIOS?  You see, both drives -- the one with GPT and the one without -- boot into MATE on two other other two notebooks I use with Linux, a Dell 6220 and an HP 2570P.  So it seems that on those two boxes the absence of the GPT partition doesn't matter.  But why? 

But there's another, bigger problem.  I don't know what I may have done or what caused it, but starting a few days ago the Aspire no longer boots from USB.  I attempted to reconfigure the BIOS, but my changes did not take, even though I pressed F10 save & exit. 

My BIOS version/date:  Insyde Corp. V1.10, 8/20/2014.  Might an updated BIOS help with this, restore the ability to boot from USB? 

There is one exception I've found to my Aspire no longer booting from the usb:  Klaus Knopper's new Knoppix release, KNOPPIX 8.1.0.  I installed it by copying the .iso, which he describes as having a "hybrid layout," directly to the flash drive with dd:

dd if=KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

That boots up into Knoppix 8.10, but the usb stick made by installing to a flash drive from within running Knoppix does not boot up, for me.