G9-793-79V5 Panel/Screen Specs Concerns ||| PLEASE HELP!

Options
Squatta
Squatta Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I am trying to find info on the G9-793-79V5. The specs don't list the panel/screen refresh rate, but many reviews say 60hz and many others say 75hz. I have been told by a guru that all the Predator 17s have a 75hz monitor for the FHD version. Does this version have a 75hz monitor or not?

Also, concerning the screen/panel therer are reports that the GTX 1070 uses G-sync, but the monitor itself is not G-sync compatible, which I find to be obsurd, but thought I'd check.

I have talked to https://store.acer.com/en-us and they have said that they have never had a Predator 17 with a 75hz screen, but by the amount of reviews I am seeing with a 75hz screen, it tells me they don't know much about the specs. I didn't even go into the G-sync issue, because of this obviously false statement.

If anyone could shed some light on any of these issues, it would be appreciated. I am down to the line with purchasing a gaming/design laptop and this SEEMS to be the closest to what I want. I just need to make sure it has everything I want in a laptop, since you can't really upgrade it later (easily anyway). This has been my criteria I have been going by:

Under $2000

i7 7700HQ

GTX1070

17" Display with G-sync over 60hz IPS

DVD drive

Answers

• ashknani55
    ashknani55 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Options

no one can help u unless u tell us the model of that screen.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    I know that every g9-793 have 75Hz fhd display. If it is an uhd then it will be 60Hz.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Squatta
    Options

I have been told this by someone else too, but for some reason ACER doesn't know their own products. I just didn't know if when they went to the i7 7700hq if they changed the monitor too... Do you by chance know if the monitor is g-sync compatible?

• Squatta
    Options

Where do I get that info if Acer cannot even tell me their basic specs?

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

According to the LCD panel specifications, the refresh rate is 60Hz.

France
  • Squatta
    Options

Yes, have seen reviews on youtube that say 60 and 75hz and acer told me it is 60. Someone on this thread said all are 75 and i heard similarly from someone on Youtube. Also, I have seen some reviews (a bit older) that say the monitor is not g-sync compatible, despite the GTX1070 being g-sync compatible.

• ven98
    Options
    G9-793's display has g-sync. You are probably confusing it with g9-792 and g9-791 which only support g-sync on external monitor. Also g9-792 and 791's displays are 60Hz.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    Only the 4k displays of g9-793 are 60Hz. FHD are 75Hz.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Squatta
    Options

Thanks again. Now if I can just get ACER to say similarly Smiley Tongue.

• Squatta
    Options

Tried asking ACER again they are still saying the screen is 60hz... Maybe I don't want an ACER anymore if their Sales Dept doesn't know what they are selling and can't give me basic specs. I feel like they are trying to screw me somehow (along with every other computer manufacturer), because all of them seem to leave out any specs that make their laptops look bad... This is frusterating...

[inappropriate content removed]

• ashknani55
    ashknani55 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Options

apparently u didnt bother urself to read... IT SAYS ON EVERY SITE IT HAS G-SYNC !! , next time go read on the acer website BEFORE ASKING IT SAYS G-SYNC ON ACER  WEBSITE , AMAZON EVERY PLACE.

[inappropriate content removed]

• Squatta
    Options

Oh... why didn't I think of that? Oh wait... I DID. Some models have Gsync monitors while others don't and only have Gsync Graphics cards that only use G-sync if you plug in your laptop to a g-sync compatible monitor. Therefore, you can claim a laptop has Gsync without actually being able to utilize it with the stock panel/screen. 

• peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

My G5-793 had a 75Hz IPS panel without G-Sync (disabled in BIOS by Acer)

A BIOS upgrade enabled G-Sync.

I had some issues with the computer and sent it to Acer for repair.

When I got it back, they had installed a 60Hz TN panel without G-Sync.

I refused to accept it and got a replacement computer with a 75Hz IPS with G-Sync.

Never got an explanation of why they installed another panel. 

• ven98
    Options
    I guess they probably have installed a display of older model.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• MimiX
    MimiX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    How did you end up resolving this with Acer? I am in the same boat. They replaced my laptop screen with a ***** model. I have no way to prove the previous one was 75hz because the refresh rate is conveniently not listed on their site, nor anywhere else I try to look. I am now contacting owners of this particular model to see if they can send me some screenshots....
  • peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Acer did not ask any questions when I said that they installed the wrong panel in my G5-793. I noticed because G-Sync was gone after the first repair. They said that they had done something wrong and that they should replace the panel with the correct one. In the end I got a completely new computer.
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    The G9 793 has indeed many variants, some I know all do not have G-sync.  My own Predator 17 is a G9 793-71N2
    i7 7700HQ, GTX 1070 8Gb DDR5, 32Gb DDR4, 256 SSD, 2TB HDD, G-sync 75Hz refresh rate

Q-6