Acer Switch 5 USB Type-C charging

Options
mato6666663
mato6666663 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello,

my question is simple. Does Acer Switch 5 support the USB Type-C charging?

Thank you for your answer.

Regards

Answers

• Kilowatt2
    Kilowatt2 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options

Yes but not all power adapters work the same. I have a switch 5 and use a Apple USB C power 29W adapter and it works with no issue. I also have a Targus adapter and it will not charge the 5 directly but will work if pluged into a HDMI to C adapter with power passthrough. 

• terence1986
    terence1986 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi, I want to ask something. If I would like to use the Anker usb c wall charge 46 W for my Switch 5, will it damage my switch 5 ?

Anker usb c wall charger
    https://www.lazada.sg/aukey-usb-c-charger-with-46w-usb-c-power-delivery-30-amp-5v21a-ports-usb-wall-charger-for-macbook-pro-iphone-x-8-plus-samsung-note8-and-more-82346879.html?spm=a2o42.prod.0.0.776b96dc8DQ3QH
  • Zulucowboy
    Zulucowboy Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    I have an apple 64w charger that charges the alpha 12 but not the switch 5. Frustrating. I also have the trianium car charger and it charges both models no problem.
  • danieltan23
    danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I wonder if acer itself can give better clarification. there seems to be a lot of varying experiences
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The Acer specs say "USB 3.1 type-C w/ PD, DP function", that means Power Delivery is supported. 3.1 spec calls for 20V but the Acer supply is 19V. So, any charger with appropriate wattage and 19V output should work in the USB-C port for charging.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • danieltan23
    danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    billsey said:
    The Acer specs say "USB 3.1 type-C w/ PD, DP function", that means Power Delivery is supported. 3.1 spec calls for 20V but the Acer supply is 19V. So, any charger with appropriate wattage and 19V output should work in the USB-C port for charging.
    what is the appropriate wattage? I understand from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012609/windows-10-fix-usb-c-problems

it seems lower voltage for windows pc can still charge just a bit slower. It this something Acer designed to limit and if there's any firmware or software that can change that safely?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The stock supply is 45W, I believe so anything that size or bigger will work as long as the voltage is right. Microsoft is being vague on purpose, since each computer design is different. The USB-C charging standard allows for a range of voltages, but for each computer there's something specified.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rajesh_seekunto
    rajesh_seekunto Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    I have a macbook air 2015 and i charged my acer switch 5 with it without any issue.