Acer Predator Helios 300 - updating drivers

VersusAllOdds
VersusAllOdds Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Greetings fellow Acerers.

I have certain software problems on this new awesome laptop, I will describe in detail later on. Firstly, I'd like to check whether they are caused by unupdated drivers.

I don't know how to check what's the version of my BIOS,

how to update it,

and if I can update it all in one go (can I do it for example 1.02 > 1.05 directly, or I have to go through 1.03 and 1.04).

Please do not refer me to a generic manual that I have to read, and kindly provide me with answers to my bolded questions. Thank you very much in advance, more from me later Smiley Happy

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    To check the BIOS version in 'run' command type 'msinfo32' press enter. Then a new window will appear. On the left side click on system summery. On the right side will appear an info about the system. Look for BIOS version.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

What model helios do you have? Also you just update to the latest version of the BIOS and skip the in between versions.

• VersusAllOdds

Thank you both, I will do the check for BIOS and the update when I arrive home from work.

I hope that will resolve my issue. Namely, my issue is constant minimizing of games for no apparent reason. It's not just one game, it's:

GalCiv II,

CoD MW 2

StarWars Battlefront 1 and 2 (originals form 10+ years ago)

Unreal Tournament 2003

Basically all the older games (however, CoD is 2009, so not too old). I have ran Far Cry Primal and Far Cry 4 with no complications though. So I have yet to pinpoint the problem - my guess is that it's a pesky process/service, but I have disabled a bunch of them as suggested by the internet, and to no avail.

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

You're welcome hope the BIOS update can sort you out

• VersusAllOdds

The updates to BIOS and graphics card have not helped. I have had a day without minimizations, and then it started again.

I can't be the only one with this problem. Please, I need help, my games are being minimized as soon as I start them, or 2-3sec later!

• jimesa110
    jimesa110 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I like to reinstall systems and drivers.Acer Predator drivers:  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers