Predator G3-571 undervolt question

Options
Wheeinu
Wheeinu Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I've seen videos where they undervolt the helios 300 by -.100V. But those were made with the 'Processor Core Iccmax' at 69.00A. My laptop came with the value set at 68.000A as default. Will this affect my undervolting limit? 

Capture.PNG

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Then yes the current throttling that is displayed from XTU is probably from the undervolting. I don't undervolt with XTU I use Throttlestop. I have undervolted -100mV with throttlestop and no performance drop(don't know if my CPU current throttles).

If it doesn't affect your CPU's max frequency there is nothing to worry about. Undervolt by -100mV(it is possible to go even higher) and leave it like that.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    It won't affect your undervolt limit. How much you can undervolt the CPU differs from CPU to CPU. There are CPUs that can be undervolted by -130mV and CPUs that can't be undervolted more than -100mV.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Wheeinu
    Options

Ok, so for safety i've tried a -.050V undervolt. When I run Prime95's torture test, sometimes the 'Current Limit Throttling' in XTU registers a 'yes' for maybe 2-3 seconds. Is it related to my undervolt?

• ven98
    Options
    No it isn't related to that. How much does your CPU temperature reach when you run Prime95?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Options
    If you don't want it to current throttle you can raise the current limit.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Wheeinu
    Options

At -0.050V undervolt, my max temp is at 73C when running Prime95 (Fans on auto). Is that fine?

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Then yes the current throttling that is displayed from XTU is probably from the undervolting. I don't undervolt with XTU I use Throttlestop. I have undervolted -100mV with throttlestop and no performance drop(don't know if my CPU current throttles).

If it doesn't affect your CPU's max frequency there is nothing to worry about. Undervolt by -100mV(it is possible to go even higher) and leave it like that.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Wheeinu
    Options

Ok, thanks. Guess I'll try throttlestop now.