Acer Switch SA5-271 Unable to Boot off of Sabrent HDD Enclosure

Tombo_
Tombo_ Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello!
I have an Acer Switch SA5-271 and a Sabrent external hard drive enclosure. I wanted to run an operating system off of this hard drive by booting into it with my laptop. I started by installing an OS to the external HDD using a different computer. I plugged the hard drive into my laptop and booted the computer into BIOS. I switched the system boot mode to Legacy and changed the boot order to boot USB HDD first. The USB HDD option didn't actually list a hard drive name after it, but I tried to boot it first anyway. It booted up Windows. I switched the hard drive enclosure for an older one, a Cirago enclosure. This one did work. Is there any reason my Sabrent enclosure wouldn't work?

Also, when my computer is booted to Windows, it does see the hard drive as a storage device. I just can't boot into it with the BIOS.

I am using Windows 10, fully updated. My Acer Care Center app doesn't list any updated either.

A link to the Sabrent enclosure in question: https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-UK30/ultra-slim-usb-3-0-to-2-5-inch-sata-external-aluminum-hard-drive-enclosure/

Answers

• Kilowatt2
    Kilowatt2 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

You need to read up on EFI/UEFI based computers.  Google "uefi-based computers"