G3-571 Temperature questions

jej2
jej2 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I've undervolted my CPU to help reduce temps while under stress. My temperature still peaks at about 81-83C whilie gaming. It doesn't stay at that temp for long but I am wondering if those are acceptable readings. It also idles around 46-50C after its been on for a while which seems kind of high to me. Fans are set to auto and CoolBoost is on. Room is well ventilated, on a hard surface, etc. Is there any cause for concern, and if heat damage were to occur would that be covered under the warranty? Thanks in advance.

Also, I've read that max temp is 100C but I want some other opinions or comparisons from people.

It's the i7 7700HQ

16GB RAM

GTX 1060

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    83C is a fine temperature my laptop also peaks at 83C even a bit more with average temperature of 79-83C depending on the room temperature. Damage caused by heat is covered by the warranty as it isn't your fault and you haven't overclocked the device to produce additional heat.

100C is the max temperature and it is the max temperature allowed to be reached by the BIOS. Usually the temperature stops increasing once the CPU reaches 97C. The actual temperature limit of the CPU is even higher than 100C, maybe around 105-110C. 83C is far from there so nothing to worry about. Once the system detects that the CPU goes above 100C it will shut itself down to prevent any damage to occur.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• jej2
    jej2 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Thanks for the response. Do you undervolt as well or do you get those temps without changing anything? Just curious
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    With undervolt
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!