Linux drivers for Acer VX5-591G

siqueira
siqueira Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hello, I intend to buy Acer VX5-591G, more specifically, VX5-591G-78BF.  I am a Linux user and If I buy this notebook, I will remove Windows and Install Linux. However, before I proceed with the purchase I want to be sure that I will not spend long hours searching for a drivers for the following devices: Wifi, Bluetooth and touchpad. Can anyone tell me the exact name of the Wifi and Bluetooth device? Also, I would like to know if someone installed Linux on this machine? Can anyone share the experience of using Linux on this machine?

Answers

• LucasBorges
    LucasBorges Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello, I'm currently trying almost the same, except that I'm installing my linux OS in a flash drive. I found this and it may be helpful:

https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/PT/content/support-product/7094?b=1

But I didn't try yet. Good luck!

EDIT: It didn't work, those are windows drivers only.

• LucasBorges

Hi, I succeed with the wi-fi driver on my VX5-591g. The distro I'm trying is Studio 13.37 v2.4, so probably you are using a different one and you probably might face different issues. Here's what I've done:

1. In the windows' driver manager I found out that the name of the wi-fi driver is Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.
    2. I went on this link and downloaded one of the Intel® Wireless 7260 files.
    3. https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi
    4. In "README" there was the following stretch:

"2. INSTALLATION

The iwlwifi driver will look for the file iwlwifi-7265-13.ucode /
      iwlwifi-7265D-13.ucodeusing the kernel's firmware_class infrastructure.
      More information can be found under Documentation/firmware_class in kernel
      source. In order to function correctly, you need to have this support enabled
      in your kernel.  When you configure the kernel, you can find this option in
      the following location:

Device Drivers ->
                      Generic Driver Options ->
                              Userspace firmware loading support

You can determine if your kernel currently has firmware loader support
      by looking for the CONFIG_FW_LOADER definition on your kernel's
      .config.

In addition to having the firmware_class support in your kernel, you
      must also have a working udev and uevent infrastructure configured.
      The steps for installing and configuring udev are very
      distribution specific.

Once you have the firmware loader in place (or if you aren't sure and
      you just want to try things to see if it works), you need to install
      the microcode file into the appropriate location.

Where that appropriate location is depends (again) on your system
      distribution.  You can typically find this location by looking in the
      udev scripts of your distro, the default is /lib/firmware.

Installation of the firmware is simply:

% cp iwlwifi-7265-xx.ucode /lib/firmware
              % cp iwlwifi-7265D-xx.ucode /lib/firmware
      (...)"
    5. So I went to "Setup Network", then used Puppy Network Wizzard to unload the ethernet module and load the iwlwifi.
    6. Then I used Kernel Module Viewer and looked for iwlwifi. When I found it, there was several firmwares under it, and one of them was "iwlwifi-7265-13.ucode". So I went back to the link and downloaded the corresponding file (iwlwifi-7260-ucode-25.30.13.0.tgz).
    7. I installed the package, then followed the install instructions on README (using cp in the terminal), and unloaded and reloaded the iwlwifi network module. And it worked like a charm.

Sorry if something isn't clear enough, I'm new to linux, and I don't know the details of how I made it work. I still can't use the touchpad, bluetooth, the sound driver. But I found the touchpad driver (i2c_hid) loaded in Kernel Module Viewer, so I'm going to follow the same logic of looking for the driver name in windows, searching for the linux version to download (after checking the firmware version on Kernel Module Viewer), and then trying to install it. The difference is that now I can list the drivers I need in a file and do the rest of the work without unbooting linux.

Good luck!

• LucasBorges
    You won't have the problems I had with more updated and popular distros
  • rrvillareal2011
    rrvillareal2011 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, Did you guys have any issue running linux in this laptop? I have the same model 

VX5-591G, And I've used multiple distros from Manjaro, Ubuntu, PopOS, Linux Mint and I encounter random freezes all the time, its kinda frustrating,

• lmint
    lmint Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, Did you guys have any issue running linux in this laptop? I have the same model 

VX5-591G, And I've used multiple distros from Manjaro, Ubuntu, PopOS, Linux Mint and I encounter random freezes all the time, its kinda frustrating,

Me too man. I dont know what is it, but Im using it on a sandisk flash drive 3.0 and many times i have this random freezes. Even with updates. Very sad. Any one have a idea?