Sleep Mode causes weird screen issues (not black screen) on Acer Aspire R5-471T

Options
2»

Answers

• xcv4664
    xcv4664 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Ive had this issue for a while. Same model i purchased in January, 2016. I just gave up on putting the laptop in sleep mode. I turned off and restarted each time I used. It was a pain in the butt.

Yesterday, I started the laptop in the morning as always. The startup screen showed me “windows updating. DO not restart your computer” something in those line. I waited for about 30 min, but screen never changed. I felt something was wrong and I tried to restart by pressing and holding the power button. But it didnt work. None of the keys worked. I couldnt even shut my computer. 

So i popped the case open by unscrewing and disconnected the battery from the board. The computer shut down and I plugged it back in. (I didnt know of the small pin hole at the time). I tried to restart the computer, and this time, the power is on (indicator light on and fan running) but the screen went black and blank. It’s been stuck in this situation. So annoying. 

I requested Acer repair service, but I got an email saying that they charge $399.99 for the repair. Ridiculous. 

Anyone experienced similar problem? Suggestions? 

I also want to back up my data in my m.2 512gb SSD that came with the laptop. ANyone knows how?
  • wigman
    wigman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    answer to xcv4664:

I started to experience the same screen issue with the white stripes in August.  (have R5-471T-59CW)
    Then a driver rollback helped. 
    Then on 15/11 another WIN10 update had the driver update again. So, I rolled back the driver again, but this time I could not just "roll back" driver from device manager, I had to download the old (original) driver from the Acer site.
    And then 4 days ago my daughter just left it on for sleep. Next morning the screen was all black
    I can turn the laptop on and off - power on/power off - and also I think the processor starts as the little blue light turns on and the processor fan starts to generate that noise.

I also tried to connect to an external display (HDMI beamer)  but that shows nothing too. Display, external display is black.
    I called the repair shop and they had said a ludicrous $700+  price, as they say everything is integrated on the motherboard, and thus the graphic chip replacement = main board replacement. 

However I do not think this is the problem.
    I have a feeling, that this has to do something with the WIN10 updat + the integrated Intel HD graphics 520 
  • vlfora54
    vlfora54 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi>

I have the same problem in new ACER All in one C24 760 that I bought last week from Sam's Club. After all the set up process and after Windows looked for all the updates needed all seemed normal until desktop when into sleep mode. I though the computer was damaged from the store so I returned it the same day for a new one. But it did the same for the second, brand new one. A pix elated screen that cant be fix by moving mouse or using keyboard. It is quite clear the problem is with the display driver and the sleep mode. I just have to press the power button all the time it goes into sleep and the screen problems occurs. I have read the fix suggestions and I understand the original drive fro the Intel Graphic 520. Apparently the ""NEW"" driver screws things up. The problem is that I cannot roll back the driver as the tab is grayed (see picture). I just cant. Any suggestions to get driver that came with computer 2016??

• wigman
    wigman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    Visit Acer's site at  at www.acer.com. Do to support and select drivers. 
    Enter your model and download the driver. Those drivers are the earlier version the 20.xx. versions.
    Good luck!

• GJHadfield
    GJHadfield Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the same problem and also couldn't roll back.
    You need to click on Update Driver then take the Browse option followed by Let Me Pick.
    The corrupt driver (which was installed) was Version 22.20.16.4815, dated 26/09/2017. Reinstalling the previous version on the machine, 21.20.16.4534 dated 07/10.2016, solved the problem.

• JoHolden
    JoHolden Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi All,
    I had the same issue (with my Dell, not ACER). It's definitely a driver issue, if you are confident to roll back/install an old version of the driver as people have suggested then do that.
    I wasn't really sure what to do and I wanted to pass the feedback onto Intel/Nvidia... so I visted intel's support page. Started a live chat, they checked my device details then sent me a link to download an appropriate driver version. Ran and installed it, all good now. Was really easy and I'm glad I've given Intel the feedback that there is something wrong, because it seems to be a common issue.
    Support Page: https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support.html