Acer Predator 17x random black screen

darthgrayter
darthgrayter Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey, I bought my 17x in late June of this year and last month it started to have a problem where the screen randomly turned black until I turned it off and on again. The computer was still running as I heard sounds coming from it, but the screen randomly turns black.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Can you explain it in more detail? Does it turn off, while you are playing a game or it turns off no matter what tasks you do?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• darthgrayter
    The last time that it turned off was when I started a game. The computer had been on sleep mode for a couple days prior to this incident (if that helps).
  • darthgrayter
    The last time that it turned off was when I started a game. The computer had been on sleep mode for a couple days prior to this incident (if that helps).
  • ven98
    What variant of 17x is your laptop gx-791 or gx-792? What is your BIOS version? Updating the BIOS is likely fix this, if it is not updated to latest version already.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• darthgrayter
    GX-791-758V
  • Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Are your BIOS and graphics drivers up to date?

• ven98
    There is no BIOS update for GX-791.
    I think I know what are you talking about. When you turn off the laptop the screen goes blank but the fans keep spinning and sometimes when you turn on the laptop and it starts loading the windows and then just before it begins logging you in the screen goes blank and you can't do anything. Is it exactly the same as I describe it, because when I still had my GX-791, I had this issue.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    I don't remember if I managed to fix this issue, but if it is the same as I described above, it is likely to be an issue with the windows.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• darthgrayter
    Yeah, that happens sometimes also in addition to what I described. I'm not certain of a way I can check for a BIOS update?
  • ven98
    You can check for BIOS update from Acer driver and then find your model. There is only one BIOS version there and it is 1.03v and currently your laptop has the same version.

I know several things that might help, but if it is coming from bugged BIOS or hardware there is nothing that can be done.

Firstly, you will perform a battery reset by sticking a paper clip into the battery reset pinhole. Then leave the laptop for 10 minutes and then press the power button continuously for 30 seconds.

If it doesn't help then in cortana type 'troubleshoot' and after you click on it choose to fix with a windows update. Make sure your Nvidia graphics driver is up to date. In cortana type device installation settings and choose 'no'. This way you disable auto driver update. Uninstall your current nvidia driver, reboot the laptop and then from nvidia's website download the latest driver.

Update your killer suite driver too. It has nothing to do with the display but it has caused me weird bugs before I update it.

If these things don't help then it is time to call Acer support.

PS: Just in case in run command type 'msinfo32'. There you will see what is your BIOS' current version. If it is 1.03 then this is the latest.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system