Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-592G is not resetting

Options
Cryptic
Cryptic Member Posts: 18 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Well, after a long while of trying to solve some issues, I've decided to try resetting my Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-592G. I tried to reset the computer by removing all my files on all drives. It goes to about 14% but fails and says, "There was a problem resetting your PC." I tried only removing all my files on only the drive Windows was installed, but the result was the same. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create recovery drive. To do so in cortana type 'create a recovery drive'. Then choose to 'back up your system files'. This way you will be able to reinstall windows from the recovery drive.

You won't be able clean the drive, while logged in windows so you should enter in the boot menu - the same menu on the video you have sent me. To do so follow these steps:
    Click the Start menu and select Settings. Select Update and Security. Click on Recovery. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.

Now when you are in this menu press shift+f10. A command prompt will appear. In there type diskpart and then enter. Then type 'list disk' all your drivers will be shown there with numbers like Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2. Take a note of the disk number you want to delete. Then type 'select disk x' (x is the number of the disk you want to delete). Then type 'clean'. Wait until it finishes the process and then after it is finished type 'exit'. You won't be able to boot in windows, now you will be able to boot from the recovery drive.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    2 months ago, I had the same problem with my laptop(not Acer) and tried everything in order to make it work but at the end I had to purchase a new copy of windows and re-install it.

You can try these steps.
    1. Go in control panel. In the search on top right type troubleshooting. Click on it and then under system and security click on 'fix problems with windows update'.
    2. Run command prompt(admin) and enter the command sfc/ scannow
    3. Run command promt(admin) and enter command 'chkdsk X: /f /r /x' X is the letter of the drive. Then it will ask you whether you want to check the disk after the system restarts and you type 'Y'. Restart the system and it will begin automatically.
    4. If 1, 2 and 3 don't work, create a recovery drive and re-install windows with it, which I doubt will work. You can use Acer care centre to create recovery drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Cryptic
    Options

Steps 1, 2, and 3 do not work. For number 4, I do not really want to save any files on a hard drive because all my important stuff are in OneDrive, where I have 1 TB of space.

What should I do?

• ven98
    Options
    So after doing all 3 steps you tried to reset and it didn't work. I know that when reset doesn't work creating a recovery drive won't work too. When you create recovery drive and tick 'back-up system files to recovery drive' the only things that are saved on the recovery drive are the drivers and programs, which the laptop comes with.

After you create the recovery drive, you can wipe out the hard drive and install windows anew from the recovery drive.

Mind that if you don't choose to back up the system files to recovery drive, you won't be able to install the windows from it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

So basically, I should take a usb drive, plug it in, create Factory Default Backup, tick 'back-up system files to recovery drive (which is just a usb drive that i plug in, right?)', wipe out the hard drive and install windows from the usb drive, and then so on.

That's at least what I understood. (Sorry, I'm not good with computers.)

How much space should the usb drive have?

• Cryptic
    Options

So my 32 GB flash drive has just been wiped and the recovery drive has been created. What now?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm going to use this video and try it out. http://packard-bell-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27607/~/restore-windows-with-a-usb-recovery-drive

• Cryptic
    Options

I've tried the tutorial, but I can't even boot into BIOS from the Acer starting-up screen. I improvised by going to Advanced Startup in Settings and getting to BIOS that way. I moved up the drive to the top of the list, yet it still does not work. The computer just boots up like nothing was changed at all... Darn...

• ven98
    Options
    Did you select to keep system files before creating the recovery drive? Because you if didn't the recovery drive is just a recovery drive and you can't install windows from it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options

Create recovery drive. To do so in cortana type 'create a recovery drive'. Then choose to 'back up your system files'. This way you will be able to reinstall windows from the recovery drive.

You won't be able clean the drive, while logged in windows so you should enter in the boot menu - the same menu on the video you have sent me. To do so follow these steps:
    Click the Start menu and select Settings. Select Update and Security. Click on Recovery. Under Advanced startup, click Restart now. The system will restart and show the Windows 10 boot menu.

Now when you are in this menu press shift+f10. A command prompt will appear. In there type diskpart and then enter. Then type 'list disk' all your drivers will be shown there with numbers like Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2. Take a note of the disk number you want to delete. Then type 'select disk x' (x is the number of the disk you want to delete). Then type 'clean'. Wait until it finishes the process and then after it is finished type 'exit'. You won't be able to boot in windows, now you will be able to boot from the recovery drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

ven98 wrote:

Now when you are in this menu press shift+f10. A command prompt will appear. In there type diskpart and then enter. Then type 'list disk' all your drivers will be shown there with numbers like Disk 0, Disk 1, Disk 2. Take a note of the disk number you want to delete. Then type 'select disk x' (x is the number of the disk you want to delete). 

Sorry about not understanding, but what do you mean by "delete"? For me, the driver Windows is installed on is C. I have two drivers, C and D, so I assume that C is 1 and D is 2. Which one should I delete?

• ven98
    Options
    You can't assume what is the disk's number here as it starts from disk 0. When you enter the command to show your disks it will be displayed like this:
    Disk 0 - Online - xxxxGB(Storage)-----
    Disk 1 - Online - xxxxGB(Storage)-----

Depending on the amount of storage your disk holds you will know whether your C is disk0 or disk 1.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

I'm only going to delete the drive that Windows is installed on, correct?

Just making sure so I don't do something stupid.

• ven98
    Options
    Yes
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

Alright, I will try as soon as I can. Thanks.

• Cryptic
    Options

So I did what you told me to, and then tried to "Recover from a drive." It stopped at 43% or 44% and then told me that it could not reset and no changes were made. Since Windows is not on the drive anymore... I can't return to windows. I'm stuck at these menus. What should I do?1.JPG2.JPG

• ven98
    Options
    Ah, this windows. Seems that windows was bugged from the beginning and creating a recovery drive from a corrupted windows will result in corrupted recovery drive. But if the recovery drive is corrupted then it should have not let you create it in the first place like it was in my case.

I can suggest you to try again, it might manage to install it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

I've tried 3 times already... Robot Sad

• ven98
    Options
    Last option is to contact Acer and request a working recovery drive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Cryptic
    Options

Darnit... Is that really it? Acer will probably charge me lots of money... I bought the laptop from Costco and their warranty should let me come back and let them fix it somehow for free.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    6) proceed with windows 10 installation

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cryptic
    Options

IronFly, isn't that solution a bit too late now? I mean, I can't even return to Windows because I just wiped the drive it was on. Windows 10 seemed to already be corrupted somehow, so I can't even use my recovery drive.