How to add Hard Drive to Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-52R1

digdugdan
digdugdan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I recently bought this laptop ( Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-52R1)  and I thought I would be able to add a hard drive to it, as in similar models.

There is even a nice panel on the bottom with a single screw, but upon opening the panel there seems to not be connections for a hard driA look inside the HDD bayA look inside the HDD bayve, IE: nowhere to plug it in. (see screenshot). -->

I found a few other posts concerning this issue, but none of them really helped me:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51G-52R1-hdd-cable/m-p/520167#M75346

-- In this post a technician lists some part numbers needed to add the HD; a cable and a bracket.

cable 50.GP4N2.004
bracket 33.GP4N2.002

But I cannot find these parts for sale anywhere online.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-V-and-M-Series-Laptops/HDD-add-in-Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51-55FD/td-p/523922

-- In this post, a technician offers to directly mail the cable/bracket to a customer. This would be an ideal solution for me Smiley Happy

So yea, I am looking for a solution to this problem. I contacted support via the chat, but they pretty much told me that I needed to get the bracket on my own and that any one would work (which is totally not the case).

Thanks

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please send a personal maessage to Acer-Blayn with the details he has asked for in the second link in your post.

• Patoff
    Patoff Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

is this probem solved ? same problem here, there is a door under my laptop to add a hd , no plug bracket or wire.
    model a515-51-88ny, can you private message me pls
  • Seb777
    Seb777 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2018
    Hi

Yesterday i buy Acer Aspire 515-51-572Q 256 SSD and i have same problem emty HDD bay without cable/plug :/

Any1 known how resolve this problem ???
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Seb777 said:
    Hi

Yesterday i buy Acer Aspire 515-51-572Q 256 SSD and i have same problem emty HDD bay without cable/plug :/

Any1 known how resolve this problem ???

Hi,
    You have to buy the cable and HDD carrier and fix it by yourself or by Acer service centre because I am not sure about the warranty situation in your country, there may be a warranty warning sticker in some regions, you need to check with the Acer Support centre about the warranty, you have to remove the back cover to install the HDD cable.
    Part number for cable: 50.GP4N2.004
    Part number for HDD carrier: 33.GP4N2.002
    4 screws to fix the HDD to carrier, size M.3.0x3.0          Part number: 86.MXRN2.008
    4 screws to fix the HDD secure in the bay, size M.20x3.0     Part number: 86.GCHN2.009
  • Seb777
    Seb777 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank You brummyfan2.

You really help me.

ps.Live in UK
  • brummyfan2
    Seb777 said:
    Thank You brummyfan2.

You really help me.

ps.Live in UK
    You are welcome :)
  • Yunicron
    Yunicron Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    Got the same surprise. I decided to check the entire laptop and found a plug on the motherboard. But I don't understand why they did such a thing. It makes me feel like... bring this laptop back and buy another brand like Dell or Asus...
    Anyway there's one 256gb SATA M.2 ssd drive in it and it seems to be able to take pics m.2 ssd. Does someone know if I can replace the m.2 SATA ssd by a m.2 pcie ssd ? Thx.
  • brummyfan2
    Yunicron said:
    Got the same surprise. I decided to check the entire laptop and found a plug on the motherboard. But I don't understand why they did such a thing. It makes me feel like... bring this laptop back and buy another brand like Dell or Asus...
    Anyway there's one 256gb SATA M.2 ssd drive in it and it seems to be able to take pics m.2 ssd. Does someone know if I can replace the m.2 SATA ssd by a m.2 pcie ssd ? Thx.

Hi,
    I think most probably you can use a NVMe SSD as these models have been released with NVMe SSD, also one member reported that he got the information from Acer Support that this model has PCIe support.
    https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=bg&u=https://laptop.bg/laptops-acer-Aspire_5_A515_51G-acer_aspire_5_a51551g_NXGT1EX013256gbssd&prev=search
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/544753
  • DIG
    DIG Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2018
    Yunicron said:
    Yes :) I installed an Intel NVMe M.2 and it works fine.