Acer G9-791 Thunderbolt 3 out to HDTV Lag in Games + place to get additional charger?

Options
internetnomad
internetnomad Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, everyone.

I generally use my Acer Predator G9-791 on my HDTV, with the laptop screen closed. I don't know if using the laptop this way introduces some kind of inherent lag, but most games I play on my TV seem to run fine. However, upon playing the Destiny 2 beta recently, I noticed the game would slow down to a crawl occasionally during matches. I tried playing the game directly on the laptop and that seemed to clear up 90% of the framerate issues. I figured connecting the laptop the TV wouldn't affect performance, but it seems to do so. I'm using a 4k tv, but I have the game running at 1080p, so I know it's not a resolution issue.

Help would be appreciated. I noticed the laptop also features a DisplayPort out interface, perhaps that would work better??

unrelated to the first topic, I was wondering where I could procure an additional charger or a good reliable third party one that I can keep in my bag. Thanks!!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    The laptop should be with a lid opened while connected to any external display for max performance.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Yea if you have the lid shut the heat coming up through the keyboard might get trapped and cause you to throttle. Can you try with the lid open and see if the problem persists?

• ven98
    Options
    It is not throttling. For some reason most laptops lose a lot performance right after you close the lid.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Flx
    Options

Well I'd still check the temps with the lid shut simply to rule it out, but that's just me. Seems odd to cut power because the lid is closed but it sounds plausible.

• ven98
    Options
    The reason why this happens is because when closing the lid the CPU and GPU go into power saving mode. This could be fixed from BIOS probably but it is locked. I don't know for what reason. I also suspect that this 'power saving' upon closing the lid might actually switch the GPU from nvidia to intel hd graphics.

It can be checked on what GPU the laptop is running with lid closed. The reason could also be that it is connected through the thunderbolt.

Probably connecting via display port will keep the performance at max even with lid closed, but it is just a thought.

To internetnomad,

You can try connecting to the monitor through HDMI and see if closing the lid will drop the performance.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Options
    You can also try with display port too if you have the corresponding cable.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Options

Hmm very interesting info, thanks Ven

• ven98
    Options
    To your additional question I have never found any predator chargers for sell anywhere. I don't think any other charger would work. And a charger with this type of plug is hard to find.

The only thing I know about this predator charger is that it sends the amount of current that the laptop asks for and its brand is delta electronics.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Options

I'd contact Acer about getting a spare charger for your Predator