Screen turns off, but not really. Predator 17 G9-793-79D9

El_Rey
El_Rey Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

When I use the function key combo to turn off the screen (Fn + f6), it seems to not turn off the screen or the image, but just the illumination. Shining a light on it, I'm able to see the image. Worse, I'm still able to interact with a Logitech USB mouse, and it doesn't turn on the screen.

I recorded the thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO7jxCe6aRA

I'm worried because on my previous laptop, the screen turned black completely.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

This key combination is not for turning off the dispaly, it is just for turning off the illumination of the display as you have seen. It is the same with my laptop too, so it is definetly not an issue with yours.

It is useful for let's say you are on battery but you have to download or install something, so in order to save some battery energy turn off the display and wait until it finishes downloading/installing. It is pretty useful. But why the display doesn't turn off completely and why you can still interact with the laptop, you can ask only Acer to answer you that.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

This key combination is not for turning off the dispaly, it is just for turning off the illumination of the display as you have seen. It is the same with my laptop too, so it is definetly not an issue with yours.

It is useful for let's say you are on battery but you have to download or install something, so in order to save some battery energy turn off the display and wait until it finishes downloading/installing. It is pretty useful. But why the display doesn't turn off completely and why you can still interact with the laptop, you can ask only Acer to answer you that.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Yea seems to be the way Acer designed these, mine does the same thing. No need to worry