Hi i need help trying to open a (.TMP) file for Windows Media Player

tech1126
tech1126 Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi i have an aspire m3201 desktop and i was forced to reinstall my windows 10 to get out of the Microsoft Insider Program because it was causing problems with my pc.

One of the problems that arose from that install is the windows media player files.

They are in my download FIle and i'll show you one of the files which is the same as approx.100 other songs or files that i have.

2017-08-31 (1).png

This what the file string looks like (0fa110df-fcc2-499b-8520-5ad 16 d390645.tmp)I went in to the .TMP files properties page and changed the file type to Windows Media Player but it did not have any affect.

Any questions please let me know and i will provide as much data as possible because i don't want to lose my songs.This TMP FILE came from the backup hdd i did before i did the reinstall.

Thanks alot guys!

Harry

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

The most obvious item is "Codec" may be missing, so did you have downloaded codecs that Windows wiped?

The long string as a filename seems as though it maybe a link, and it was/is in download folder?

The re-install does not have to delete your old data, so is there nothing in Windows.old?

Seeing a screen shot of your C: drive may help.

• tech1126
    tech1126 Member Posts: 73 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi DougJohn i'm going to try and answer your questions one by one:

1st question:

No i do not believe i have downloaded "Codec"since i have never heard of this name.

2nd:The only items in the download folder is these .TMP files belonging to Windows Media Player.

3rd:I could not locate the Windows.Old file or folder.

4th:I don't quite understand your question"taking a screenshot of my c:drive.My question is what part of c:drive do you need to look at?

When it comes to files of this type my knowledge is Zero so i thank you for your patience since i will be learning as we go along.

Thank you for your time!

Harry

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

To play things like music files or video files a coder and decoder is quite often needed, and shortened to "codec".    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec

The thing is that Windows Media Player is that it does not support or play .tmp files, 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player.

Your screen shot effectively covers the names/types of files you are trying to play so it is difficult to assess what type/extension they were.

Find a file named wmplibrary.db in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index which is where the index for your music files are kept.  So if you have wiped this location by a new install then you may be stuck.

OR you can go back to the backup HDD ("This TMP FILE came from the backup hdd i did before i did the reinstall") and find everything there.

Also when I switch between insider and normal builds I get problems, but your "When it comes to files of this type my knowledge is Zero so i thank you for your patience since i will be learning as we go along." remark seems at odds with installing an insider build.

I had a Windows.old and Windows.000 along with my Windows folder when I added and then removed an insider build, and it took a lot of Linux root time to remove them, saving my user area and copying it over.

So if you have no Windows.old or Windows.000 then I think your temporary links are lost permanently.

Finally you say you dont want to lose your songs, but your screenshot is of a VIDEO file, and therefore the .tmp may be a link to Utube; and the error message tells you it may be missing a codec as it might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I think you are on your own with this one, unless/until better information is given.