Laptop not creating a proper Bluetooth profile for my Bluetooth speaker

STOXfOrE
STOXfOrE Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've had Win10 ever since it was released. Last week, i decided to do a fresh install because of the clutter it's accumulated over the years and it was showing signs of this. I have an image of my previous install. I also used a utility that supposedly grabbed all of the drivers in use - i didn't use this to install the Bluetooth drivers.

I use a Bluetooth speaker.

Before the reinstall, the name of the speaker would appear when changing the audio output in the taskbar. If i looked at 'playback devices' in sound, it would appear in the list, even if it was disconnected. If i didn't play any audio, the speaker would turn itself off. I could easily connect the Bluetooth speaker between my phone and my computer - so if i was away from my computer, i could play audio from my phone. When i get to my computer again, i just disconnect the speaker and then use 'Connect' (win+k) on my computer, tap the name of the speaker and it would connect to it within seconds.

Since the reinstall, the name doesn't appear when changing the audio output. Now it just says 'Speaker - Bluetooth Audio Device'. If i look in the 'playback devices' when the device is disconnected, the Bluetooth speaker doesn't appear. And if i don't play any audio, the speaker never turns itself off. I now can't switch between my phone and my computer. If i have my speaker connected to my phone, when i get to the computer, if i use 'Connect' (win+k) and tap the name of the speaker, it says it 'Couldn't connect' without even trying. At this point i then have to go in to the settings. remove the device from the paired list and then repair it just to get it to work. Another point, when i pair the device a window appears with a styling from the XP-Vista era.

When i reinstalled Windows, i thought i used the same Bluetooth driver and anything else to do with Bluetooth as i did last time. So i'm not sure what is happening. I would try to remove the Bluetooth related stuff and start again but i don't know how to do this without reinstalling Windows again. I used all the driver installs that officially come with the laptop from the Acer website.

My laptop is a Aspire V3-571G. With a Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter. I believe the Bluetooth is packaged in this network adapter.

In Device Manager:

Bluetooth

------------

- Bluetooth USB Module

Driver = Qualcomm Artheros Com Inc. 18/05/16. V10.0.1.7.

Hardware ID = VID_0489&PID_E04E&REV_0001

- Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Driver = Microsoft. 21/06/06. V10.0.15063.502.

Hardware ID = BTH\MS_BTHBRB

- Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator

Driver = Microsoft. 21/06/06. V10.0.15063.502.

Hardware ID = BTH\MS_BTHLE

Network adapters

---------------------

- Bluetooth Device (PAN)

Driver = Microsoft. 21/06/06. V10.0.15063.483.

Hardware ID = BTH\MS_BTHPAN

- Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

Driver = Microsoft. 21/06/06. V10.0.15063.540.

Hardware ID = BTH\MS_RFCOMM

- Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adaptor

Driver = Qualcomm Artheros Com Inc. 16/04/17. V10.0.0.352.

Hardware ID = VEN_168C&DEV_0034&SUBSYS_E052105B&REV_01

Thanks

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Not sure I get it. 

Are the speakers external?

Is W10 an upgrade from something earlier?

Could they be listed and hidden?

Is the device showing a mac address?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If it is operating then it should show up on device manager as a bluetooth device and under sound as a speaker option.

That said it must also be turned on in Settings>Bluetooth and other devices and be discoverable.

bton.jpg