Does acer also have its own antivirus software available?

schminkennl
schminkennl Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Does acer also have its own antivirus software available?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

no, but if your PC has windows 8 or windows 10 it already has an integrated antivirus.

it's called windows defender

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-defender

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The nice thing about Microsoft is that several interlocking tools are available that play together. The first is Windows Defender which is basically a signature scanner. When something is presented for download or execution, Windows Defender will scan for known viruses/worms/trojans/ and logic bombs. The keyword though is "known", it is only as good as its latest definition and having all elements turned on (though automatic submission is optional).

The second thing I use is EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit) also from Microsoft. This is more of a behavior blocker and heuristic analysis tool than a signature scanner. It detects and blocks or notifies the user of things no program should be doing. Mine is set for "Maximum security...) with all boxes green.

The third thing I do is to set the UAC to "always notify".

Finally I have a user account that is normally where I reside with a seperate local admin account that is password protected. This does not need to be complicated since the hash is secure enough. Key is to have to approve privileged operations.

And that is for my general use machine (e-mail, browsing, etc.), have other offline machines I use for more interesting things.

ps and when in doubt, Windows Defender has an option to do an offline scan during boot and before anything loads. Being able to quickly kill all power to this machine is a good thing.