Aspire E5-771 Antenna

Options
olddawg
olddawg Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I want to upgrade my wireless card.  How many antenna's does the Aspire E5-771 have?

Best Answer

• Trikein
    Trikein Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

"I just wanted to know it it shipped with 2 antennas."

Yes, it did. But why do you want to know that?

" I'd love to find a card that would do a gig."

That isn't very likly. Anything over 867Mbps usually requires propreitary systems designed by certian manafactures, so the wireless CPU in the router needs to be the same type as the one in your adapter, and both would need to be cutting edge. You can get gigabit speed much better, and cheaper, by running ethernet/CAT5e to the laptop instead. Wireless is about convience, wired will always provide a faster and more dependable connection. There is more to speed then just throughput. Latency and packet handling mean a lot too.

Answers

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

What is the full model number? There are many different Aspire E5-771 laptops. Is it a Aspire E5-771-58YD? E5-771G-51T2?

• olddawg
    Options

It is a E5-771-58YD

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

Might need to wait for a moderator to check. From what I can tell, you need the laptops SNID to look up exact hardware on Acer's support site. My guess is it uses a Realtek RTL8812AEBT, which is a Wifi AC two antenna mini PCI-e with bluetooth. What are you trying to upgrade the wireless NIC to?  Do you mean upgrade the card or just the antenna? 

• olddawg
    Options

I have already replaced the intel 3160 1x1 with an intel 7160 2x2 card.  My connection speed has almost doubled to 866.7 Mbps.  It is working just fine, I was just wondering about the antenna

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

It uses a Intel? That would explain why I found pictures of Intel cards when I googled, but I didn't believe it since the support site offers Realtek wireless NIC drivers for that model.

I doubt replacing the antenna will help, and if done wrong, can cause lots of problems. Just running the wire through all the tiny wire management needed in the small case without damaging the wire would be .... The max cap of the card is 867Mbps, so if your getting 866, your connection is darn well perfect. If it "ain't" broke, don't fix it.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• olddawg
    Options

I'm not want to replace the antenna,  I just wanted to know if it shipped with 2 antennas.  I'd love to find a card that would do a gig.  I just upgraded to fiber for my internet

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

"I just wanted to know it it shipped with 2 antennas."

Yes, it did. But why do you want to know that?

" I'd love to find a card that would do a gig."

That isn't very likly. Anything over 867Mbps usually requires propreitary systems designed by certian manafactures, so the wireless CPU in the router needs to be the same type as the one in your adapter, and both would need to be cutting edge. You can get gigabit speed much better, and cheaper, by running ethernet/CAT5e to the laptop instead. Wireless is about convience, wired will always provide a faster and more dependable connection. There is more to speed then just throughput. Latency and packet handling mean a lot too.

• olddawg
    Options

Trikein wrote:

"Yes, it did. But why do you want to know that?"

Because it's my understanding that a 2x2 card needs two antennas.  But I may be wrong.

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

"Because it's my understanding that a 2x2 card needs two antennas. "

It does. I am confused. Your first post said you wanted to upgrade your wireless card. Then you said you already, from a Intel 3160. Did you really mean the Intel XMM 7160? If so, that is a Wifi AC card with cellular LTE. Notice both have two antenna connectors on the top. What confuses me; the specs for the laptop says it uses Realtek and not Intel, the XMM 7160 shouldn't fit the same PCI-e slot as the 3160, and what your underlying question is. Are you saying the antenna for the 3160 doesn't fit the 7160?

Here is the Intel 3160

sup_AC3160

Here is the Intel XMM 7160

baytrail-0429

• olddawg
    Options

3160.jpgintel_7260_hmwwb_r_dual_band_wireless_ac_7260_1141188.jpg

3160 (top) is what I removed.  7260 (bottom) is what I replaced it with.  I thought one of the connectors was BT.  After researching, I find that they are for 2 antennas

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

BT is usually transmited along the 2.4 frequency at 2.480 to 2.4835Mhz. This keeps it above most Wifi 2.4 frequencies, but you do get some overlapp that the card has to be designed for. That's why bad drivers can cause bluetooth to conflict with wifi.

• olddawg
    Options

drivers are dated 4/17/2017 for intel

• Trikein

Tinkerer

Options

I didn't mean to insinuate that your drivers aren't up to date, just that BT uses the same antenna as Wifi, it just requires specail drivers to send the BT signal over the same antenna as wifi. What I don't understand is you created the orginal post after you already upgraded the card, and you said later it's working well, so why did you ask about the antenna? Did you think there should be a 3rd connection on the card since the upgraded card had BT? If so, then the answer to that question is no. As previously stated, it uses the same antenna. I assume all your issues are fixed, since you posted the thread solved, I was just curious what the nature of the question was. Glad I was able to help. Robot Very Happy

• olddawg
    Options

Your reply came 11 hours after my question.  I had the card already,  I had some time available so I installed it and updated my drivers.  I wanted to know if there were two antennas because the original card was 1x1.  I was not aware of how BT worked on laptops.   Thanks for your help.