Acer E5-575-3668 Keep getting Acer Collection app question

santamonica
santamonica Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just started working on my new Acer Aspire laptop yesterday.
I do keep getting a question from the Acer Collection app all the time whether I want to turn on the current position app or not. I click on No but it wont accept that and just keeps coming back with the same question over and over again.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this annoying question coming up from the Acer Collection...other than click "Yes"? Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try to uninstall it.

press windows logo key

type

remove

click on Add or remove programs

check if the Acer collection is listed and click it, choose to uninstall it

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • santamonica

Tinkerer

Yes, but I don´t necessarily want to uninstall the app, just get rid of that annoying question that keeps popping up all the time and which wont accept the No option (altough that´s one of the options it gives). 
    Any other suggestions?

• santamonica

Tinkerer

Am I really the only one here with this problem? Or did everýone just say Yes to it? 

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

"...Am I really the only one here with this problem? Or did everýone just say Yes to it .."

I just ignore it, it also seemed to stop after doing a clear all in the notifications sidebar, a couple times. 

. . . . till I run  MSWin "Refresh Win' "  tool to get rid of  manufacturer 'bloatware'    Smiley Happy

Ref.; https://www.pcmag.com/news/348679/how-clean-up-windows-10-with-the-refresh-windows-tool

Oh yeah for anyone that tries this out for the first time don't freak out .... it does take almost 2 hours, for it do it's job properly. 

And later reload any,  that I later think I do have a interest in !

D'

• santamonica

Tinkerer

Thanks dougc, I´ll try your first suggestion and hope for the best! Smiley Wink

• santamonica

Tinkerer

dougc, unfortunately your first suggestion didn´t work in my case. The question still pops up all the time and there are never any notifications about it in the right hand notification sidebar.

I hesitate to try your other suggestion since it seems that a lot more than this particular "bloatware" will be removed and I am not very experienced when it comes to dealing with stuff like that. To remove a lot of things and then be able to decide what I really need and then reinstall that again. To scary for me I think. I just want to get rid of this particular thing.

Any other suggestions?

[inappropriate content removed]

• dougc

S'M' ;

Respectively,  the 3 options presented are very likely it !

And the majority of peoples don't have the 0s and 1s to try option 3,  so personally I believe the only option ya have left is spend the $$ at your regional computer tinkering shop.

Where they will probably do either,   ooor worse offer ya the electronics "repair" version of  selling ya a  'bridge'    Smiley Wink

Good Luck !

D'

• santamonica

Tinkerer

Thanks again dougc!

I´ll see, either I´ll just uninstall the whole thing (Acer Collection)  or...maybe say yes to the question.  I realize that giving it my location probably wont do a lot of "harm" after all. Just hate to have to give in! Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

• dougc
    Answer ✓

Good Luck !

Still undecided,  a little more backgrd on the  'No' side, one of .... ;

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3077885/security/bloatware-on-acer-asus-lenovo-dell-and-hp-pcs-can-get-you-pwned-in-10-minutes.html

The manufacturer you hopefully can trust,  but as implied in similiar articles it definitely are the 'illegals'  that acquire access,  you have to worry about  Smiley Sad

Hasta Luego,

D'

p.s. "... Creators Update is causing their computer’s location services to turn itself on and remain, on even when no other programs are using it.

This can be a huge problem for laptop users, as location services can potentially drain your battery when used excessively, and right now there’s only one apparent fix: turn off location services. .... "

ref. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-creators-update-problems-fixes/

• santamonica

Tinkerer

dougc...thanks again!
    After having read the articles in your links I decided to (temporarily) turn off all location services in Windows. I will turn it on again  later on and just block Acer Collection.

Solved! ...I hope... Smiley Wink