Predator G9-793 SSD upgrade issues

AdrianSD
AdrianSD Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi guys, 

I posted this question in some other solved topics and I'm making a separate post because some might think it is solved.

I have a predator 17, G3-793 with a standard M.2 SSD PCE 256 GB. I want to add another SSD (Crucial MX300) on the secondary M.2 slot with the additional bracket. 

The laptop won't start when the second SSD is attached - it remains blocked with the Predator logo and I cannot enter bios. The same issue is when I swithed the ssds between them or when I tried only the new SSD only.

I've checked the drive on another computer and it works.

Do you have any ideas on what to try further? 

Thanks!

Best Answer

• AdrianSD
    Answer ✓
    I managed to solve the issue after several hours of trials.

The problem is that the Legacy boot option does not recognize newer hardware.
    It was necessary to change to Uefi with the working SSD only in order to access BIOS, but the windows installation was not recognized anymore.
    After changing to Uefi, the new SSD was recognized and a fresh windows needed to be installed.

Hope it may help others

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

If the drive works on other PC, therefore the laptop is not compatible with this drive.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• AdrianSD
    Answer ✓
    I managed to solve the issue after several hours of trials.

The problem is that the Legacy boot option does not recognize newer hardware.
    It was necessary to change to Uefi with the working SSD only in order to access BIOS, but the windows installation was not recognized anymore.
    After changing to Uefi, the new SSD was recognized and a fresh windows needed to be installed.

Hope it may help others