Preditor AG3-605-UR20 - 2 beeps and NOTHING.

ibew577traveler
ibew577traveler Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My machine was working very well.  Changing the SSD primary OS lead to having to start from the boot menu.   OKAY, everything still worked perfectly.

Adjust the startup boot drive - OKAY.  No big deal.

After adjusting the boot BIOS setting, restarting --- NOTHING.  2 beeps.

After several hours of doing this and that - pulling cards, drives, memory sticks, RESETTING the vram for the BIOS via TWO methods (Pull battery for 15 minutes and shorting the CMOS vram jumper for several minutes) - TO NO AVAIL will this machine start. 

Research suggests the BIOS was trashed.  Obviously if the machine refuses to start at all, this leaves no way to procure a fix.

Have already put in for an RMA to have this fixed.  Considering the MOBO will need to be replaced, not happy with this sort of thing.

For the past several years, this machine has been flawless.  It runs Windows 7 & 8 PRO with little bother.  I am still not a fan of Windows 10. 

I have not tweeked it for performance nor have I fingered the OPTIMAL BIOS settings.  It is almost all original except for the SSD primary disks.  I did notice a performance increase with SSD's for the OS.  Worked well for the past 3 years.

I fixed several machines in the past with BIOS issues - I reflash the removable BIOS chip.  Since this one is soldered in place - yeah, it is a bummer.

Anyone else do a BIOS change and get blown up?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

check your Private messages

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ibew577traveler
    ibew577traveler Member Posts: 2 New User

I have attempted - out of curiosity - to let the BIOS try to load the recovery bios.  Both sizes.  4M and 16M files.  I would have expected the 16M to work since that is the BIOS size.

Prior to each attempt, I did a vram erase - let it run for several minutes and still see nothing on the monitor.

Turning it back on again and I get the same two beeps. 

Proceedure breakdown:

1) erase BIOS vram (move both jumpers)

2) start system with USB.

3) wait at least 3-5 minutes - nothing on monitor

4) restart system

5) hear 2 beeps again after 2 minutes

6) restart again and 2 beeps after a few seconds.

This is how I attempted to recover the BIOS.

If it was going to work, I would assume by now I will see something on the monitor.

This does not make sense to me.  Something as simple as a BIOS configuration change should not cause this. 

Whatever happened to the BIOS, it is bad. 

Thanks for the assist Smiley Happy