Helios 300 pre purchase questions

Podagrower
Podagrower Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm not a gamer (okay, I play Postal), I'm not an IT expert, I know just enough about computers to screw things up really good.  I'm looking at the G3-571-77QK model (15.6 monitor, 256 GB SSD).  I didn't know I was looking for a new laptop until Windows murdered my old one over the weekend, and wow have things changed in 6 years.  

How is the hard drive partitioned in these laptops?  My last laptop had a 500GB HDD with a small boot partition (80GB?) C drive and the rest was storage D drive.  I was forever fighting with programs that default to the C drive for installation (even when you install them on the D drive) and that probably had a lot to do with that laptop dyeing.  Is the SSD partitioned into 2 drives or just 1?  If it is 2 partitions, is there a way to make 1 big, happy C drive out of the whole 256GB (since I still have the 500GB, 7200RPM hard drive from my old laptop I could reformat and have a decent size D drive)? 

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

You're welcome! The fan type doesn't make a difference, I have plastic fans and my laptop stays cool just fine. Not worth buying one over another IMO (seems like a marketing gimmick to be perfectly honest). The 1060 is extremely strong, within 10% of the desktop version so there's 0 need to overclock for the average user.

Answers

• Flx

Mine is set up like this:

100mb - EFI partition

237.35 GB - Primary/boot partition (C:\)

1.00 GB - Recovery

Hope that helps

And yes you should be able to re-use your old hard drive. The laptop comes with all the mounting hardware you need, access is just 1 screw to remove 1 cover.

• Podagrower
    Podagrower Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for that answer, now I've got 2 more questions.

There seems to be a good bit of confusion about the fans in the G3 571 77QK, the lowest price model.  I don't see whether they are metal or plastic being a deal breaker, but does anybody have experience with both types of fans that could talk me into "needing" the metal ones?

The G3 571 77QK is listed on the Predator site as not including overclocking capability on the GPU, where the rest of the Helios line has this ability (I'm assuming the cooling difference comes into play here?), how much of a difference is this going to make to an average user?

• Flx
    Answer ✓

You're welcome! The fan type doesn't make a difference, I have plastic fans and my laptop stays cool just fine. Not worth buying one over another IMO (seems like a marketing gimmick to be perfectly honest). The 1060 is extremely strong, within 10% of the desktop version so there's 0 need to overclock for the average user.