Acer V3 771G idle fan noise and load overheating

Options
bobbym
bobbym Member Posts: 5 New User

Edit: for overheating see post 3

Hi.

I just got a V3 771G with i7-3630QM and idle fan noise is braking my work concentration.

The idle fan speed is about as loud as hdd sound (witch I replaced with ssd) so nothing defective there I think.

I would like fan to run at lower rpm (so its noise is not audible) until 50-55celsius.

CPU temperature is about 38-42 celsius at 22 celsius room temperature and I feel no warmth in the air coming out from the vent.

At idle the cpu will not go below 38 celsius because of the heat pipe length not because radiator is not cool enough so there is no benefit from fan at 2400rpm, just noise and wasted battery.

P.S.

My previous laptop (K73) with i7-2670 sits at about 45celsius and is completely silent till at 55celsius.

Answers

• bobbym
    Options

bump

Acer any way to control the fan ? or a bios update to lower the fan speed ?

I have found out that EC register 238 hold cpu temperature and register 236 is the fan speed.

Acer can you at least provide info on which register is used to change fan to manual mode ?

• bobbym
    Options

Hi again.

Under heavy load prime95+furmark the temperature will reach 100 celsius and cpu throttles to reduce heat produced but the fan will not go to max rpm.

While tinkering with EC temperature register (it is writable but please don't do it as it could turn off fan completly and can burn your cpu/gpu) i found that it is posibile set fan to higher/full rpm (witch will not reach under normal circumstances) and to very low rpm witch makes it completly silent (but still spinning).

Also i noticed that cpul temperature will not go lower then 38-40 celsius even on full rpm (higher then bios control at over 90 celsius).

I personaly think Acer got it all wrong this time making fan to go too fast at idle and too slow under full load.

Please Acer support your custommers and at least promise you will look at this issue.

• bobbym
    Options

Thanks Acer for great support, i am now a happy user.... of a asus n76vz

• blaulicht900
    blaulicht900 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

made my day Smiley Very Happy

• Klierie
    Klierie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Found this topic through the search function. My problems are basically similar albeit with the i5 version of the 771G. But seeing there has been no response from any Acer service employee i might just as well return the laptop to the retailer? 

This discussion has been closed.