Well I'm Back, Sadly. Slow Black Line steadily increasing... sigh. G9-793-741K

Options
2»

Answers

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

That is a great explanation yes, very technical. And while gravity pulls the object down so must the object it is resting upon resist the pressure being put downwards on it. A laptop screen is a very long thin and flexible object and the laptop brick is much smaller in relative size to the surface area of the lid. Laptop lids aren't specifically designed to hold weight, I doubt the lid is reinforced in any way to hold any extra than the lid+screen could on it's own natural design. We're talking about a thin display screen stuffed into a flimsy plastic (if you're lucky metal) shell, go poke a monitor screen with your finger while it's on and watch the screen indent and turn black. It's a fragile object being guarded by cheap plastic at worst and at best cheap metal. It's not a stretch to think that pressure put on the screen from behind could cause damage.

In any case I think it's more than reasonable to think that leaving a laptop brick on the lid for 8 hours on a regular basis could cause damage. Just as it is reasonable that the defect was there already and OP just noticed it and everything is a coincidence. I reiterate my other point which is to either buy new or make sure you get some sort of warranty when buying refurbished. When you buy refurbished you take the risk upon your shoulders at the benefit of reduced cost. Even buying new, in any manufacturing process there will be a certain number of defects which is why most products have warranties.

• dairo1
    dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Options

If it becomes unbearable I see I can buy a replacement off ebay for like 150 bucks. How hard it would be to install is beyond me, if even possible to do alone. It's not at that point, it's a liveable defect. Just again, frustrating. This will for sure be my last Acer purchase. I won't penny pinch again. 

• dairo1
    dairo1 Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter
    Options

I don't buy warranties on companies that I trust. I have never bought a warranty for any Honda product I have bought, or any (I almost always buy japanese, I wish Honda made laptops) product that I Buy. I research things, and up until now I have been sound into not giving the company more money for the profit of being scared of failure. 

Acer has firmly been removed from that list. My Nitro was a beast, yes it sucked in some areas, some things were atrocious, but it ran. The worst part is, I could live with 100c temps while gaming, but a line down my screen? That is unforgivable. 

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

What I meant was make sure if you buy refurbished that the seller or manufacturer provides a warranty or some kind of guarantee, not that you pay extra for one. Should never pay extra for a warranty on anything new or refurbished. The point was with refurbished items the buyer is assuming a higher risk for a lower price (you have to accept higher risk when you buy a used product, period), the product was refurbished for a reason whether it be the box was opened or it was returned for a defective part (this also means the part may fail again for whatever reason). If it doesn't come with a warranty or guarantee, don't buy it. That is on you to figure out before you buy, not after something goes wrong.

Now if you bought something new, had a line on the screen and constant 100c temps and Acer stonewalled you and refused service I could understand your line of reasoning. Why not talk to the company you bought it from? Has it been past 30 days? I just think it is unfair to demonize a company over a line in the screen that might not even be their fault. And there is no guarantee any other manufacturer will be any better (heard some horror stories about other brands RMA services).

Also most refurbished Acer products as far as I know come with a 90 day limited warranty, I would look into that.