GPU Addition Extensa 4630

Wasiq
Wasiq Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, Let me start by saying YES, i know its stupid to try and upgrade such an old outdated laptop. Ive heard it quiet a few times in my search for the relevant info. But i still want to go ahead with it.

Anyways as the title states, I have an ooold ACER EXTENSA 4630 laptop. Specs are,

Core 2 Duo T6500

4 GB of ddr2 ram

320 GB HDD 5400 Rpm,

Intel GMA 4500MHD Built in GPU,

Board version is JALA0 LA-4221p rev.1.0 

And all the rest of the irrelevant stuff.

I know that some versions came with Dedicated Graphics in this laptop. So i was wondering if i can Upgrade my laptops GPU too. So i opened it up a found a port that looked like a PCI-e port.

On the port i Found the term MXM65H written. Ive heard that ATI radeon HD 3650 ddr2 version is compatible with MXM2 port. But when i asked the 3d card seller he said my motherboard does not support a gpu.

Then i searched the internet for my motherboard model and many othere sellers were advertising the motherboard as "series LA-4221P INTEL GM45 DDR2 (with graphics slot)"

So now im confused. Does it Support Dedicated GPU or NOT? Can someone please give me a definitive Answer with explanation? Smiley Happy Thx in advance.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Unfortunately I don't know.

Sometimes the MoBo has the artwork and tracks, even pinholes for a component but the not the chipset to support it placed on the board.

I have MoBo's with firewire printed on them, but no such capability was built in, so you need the whole package.  Space, connectors, chipsets and drivers and I doubt they are there.

But I could so easily be wrong, and I admire your determination.