A peculiar dust speck - a shining one!

Astreon
Astreon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The feeling of getting a BLB-free XB271HU... with a weird dust speck... Smiley Sad

it's in the central area of the screen, and unlike most dust specks that block light, this one actually gets illuminated. That means it's impossible to see it on white backgrounds, but it's very visible on dark screens, resembling a hot pixel.

Here's a photo, the blur is from my hand shaking (long exposition time), but it does show the speck nicely (also confirms 0 pixel problems in the area).

kA9lf4I.png

of course, there's no smear, it's just my hand shaking.

The question is: can Acer simply wipe it off? I don't want a new panel. This one is good, pretty much BLB-free with acceptable white uniformity and no dead pixels. Chances of getting a better one? 0.0001% or something.

Can Acer diassemble it, wipe this blasted thing off and reassemble it? this thing is ruining a potentially excellent XB271HU piece.

Answers

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon

This is not dust spec - this is a defect in the colour mask layer, little "hole" where R/G/B paint didn't cover the film properly (maybe because there was a dust speck on the paint roller).

They won't bother disassembling it, since your service won't have high vacuum clean room & other equipment required. What they can do is replacing the panel, if you convince them (because one bright pixel not considered warranty case by Acer policy). But then there is no guarantee something else wouldn't be worse with new panel (e.g. light bleed).

• Astreon

Thanks for the answer. It's kind of a depressing one, though. With specks, you can at least hope to tap them down. With a layer imperfection, well - it's there to haunt you forever.

Smiley Sad

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon

You can return the monitor if you still within the return period (that what I'd recommend to do).

Otherwise its up to you to decide what is more tolerable - to just ignore it or try going through arduous & uncertain process of getting it repaired. Unfortunately these are sad realities of modern monitors.

• Astreon
    I would return it, but it's my 8th Acer monitor this year. I returned seven of those already due to BLB and white uniformity issues. This one has near zero BLB and acceptable white infirmity. And I got it a bit cheaper than they are sold for in my country.