Touchscreen firmware for SW5-014?

everbaffled
everbaffled Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have a Switch 10v here and I discovered that it might be compatible with an active stylus. Turns out it wasn't, but all the technical information I could find suggested that it should be, because it has a compatible Elan touchscreen/digitizer.

However, in my quest to make the touchscreen respond to a pen, I have messed up the calibration. I did manage to make it respond to a pen, by flashing the touchscreen firmware from a Lenovo Miix 700, the pen responds correctly. Unfortunately, the touches and pen are registered in the wrong places, it's also inverted on the vertical axis, so the top is now the bottom. So if I touch the bottom left of the screen, my touch appears about half way across the screen and an inch or so below the top of the screen. It's also registering phantom touches, which is also a bit inconvenient.

With all that said, my touchscreen is now quite unusable, despite the "success" of making it respond to pens (albeit in the wrong place). My question, I guess, is whether there's anywhere I could find a correct or compatible firmware to fix it, or some other info on how I could go about trying to correct the calibration. Windows 10's built-in calibration seems unable to help me, I believe it's going to have to be at firmware/controller level.

I'm a little disappointed that I had to go to these lengths to make it see the pen, Acer could've offered a firmware update and none of this would've been necessary.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Answers

• everbaffled
    everbaffled Member Posts: 2 New User

In case it helps anybody, I've made a little (but not much) progress. It seems that during the flashing process the touch panel attempts to calibrate itself, and the screen must be spotlessly clean. I now have mostly reliable touch/pen input, which fits the display slightly better than it did before - I can touch closer to at least one or two edges where I couldn't before, and there's much less of a vertical offset. With the display cleaned I also don't seem to be getting the phantom touches any more.

It doesn't seem to be inverted vertically any more, though there are two batch files (and two corresponding firmwares), one of which seems to do that while the other doesn't. For reference, the "LB" variant doesn't invert the Y axis, where the "TPK" variant does. I probably just used the wrong one before.

The two halves of my screen are still switched around though, so if I touch anywhere in the left half of the screen it registers on the right half of the screen, and if I touch the right half of the screen it registers on the left half. But the coordinates do go in the correct direction, so if I draw a diagonal line from the top left to the bottom middle of the screen it draws that line in the correct orientation, but transposed by half a screen width. Presumably there's a parameter for this somewhere in the firmware, but I'm not really sure where to find it.