Chromebook 11 Cb3-131 Wifi Connection Unavailable

geneeparker
geneeparker Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2018 in Chromebooks

Hello,

My Chromebook will not connect to any wifi. I cannot turn on the wifi capabilities. Everytime that I tried it turned it self back off immediately. I tried all of the ideas that were online. I tried turning it on and off. I tried it in a different wifi zone. The same result happened everytime. I even rebooted the computer, restored it to factor settings. Which is a problem because it didn't work and you need to have an internet connection to even use the computer. I am at a loss. I do not know what to do from here. Any ideas?

Respectfully, a frustrated consumer. 

Answers

• wom1998
    wom1998 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've had the same problem for months. I bought this chromebook last fall to use for school. After a couple of months I started having this problem where no network connection is available. When turning Wi-Fi on it immediately turns off again. I tried everything suggested online. I tried one factory reset and a second on the recommendation of acer support. Since acer support couldn't help and my chromebook was still under warranty I shipped my chromebook in for repairs. When I got it back the repair summary said they tested it and found no problems. Go figure. The thing is the Wi-Fi works on and off. It'll work fine for a few days and not at all for a few. Over the summer I barely used it and the few times I did use it it worked fine. Now that I am back at school and using it on a regular basis i'm having problems again. I think its ridiculous that this problem exists and Acer has no idea how to fix it.

If anyone has had the same problem or found a way to fix it please let me know.

Respectfully,
    Another frustrated customer
  • franb
    franb Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have same problem the WiFi 'toggle' or slider just flips back into off when I press it! So I can't connect to WiFi!
  • ChromebkMom
    ChromebkMom Member Posts: 2 New User
    We’re having the exact problem with my child’s school Acer Chromebook 11 (CB3-111). Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
  • BROOKY0400
    BROOKY0400 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Getting the same problem here on my CB3-131, however a bit more nuanced.
    The internet will cut out and not re-enable at all, and looking at the device log it seems as though the system cannot find a network card at all.
    I can regain the ability to connect to a network by turning off the device and shaking it up and down, then turning it on. This method works reliably and leads me to believe that my network card has become loose, or the connector isn't working as it should. 
    Not sure how to proceed at all, but glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.
    I don't want to blame Acer's manufacturing quality but I can't see what else caused this. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    The wifi antenna connectors to the wifi board probably have either dislodged or should be re-seated to clean the contacts. Google "cb3-131" "disassembly" with the quotes for how to reach these connectors. As long as it's apart, it might also be a good idea to re-seat the wifi card (held to the mainboard by a screw) a few times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• StealAce
    StealAce Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    I am extremely upset with my CB3-111 acer chromebook. I have had no probelms using this laptop while attending college till now. I unable to connect to my wifi and i no longer have any of my pre-law homework. Sincerely an unhappy comsumer 
  • kestes41
    kestes41 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same story here... wi-fi on again, off again.  Mostly off when I need it.  Has Acer responded to anyone with a fix?  This is sad
  • JackE
    @StealAce & @kestes41 The wifi antenna connectors to the wifi board probably have either dislodged or should be re-seated to clean the contacts. Google "your model number" "disassembly" with the quotes for how to reach these connectors. As long as it's apart, it might also be a good idea to re-seat the wifi card a few times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kestes41
    kestes41 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Great.  i can 't wait to have to repair my own 7 month old chinese *****.   But i do appreciate your time.  This one's going in the round file.

• JackE
    Nope. Country of origin has little or nothing to do with low-voltage plug-in issues. Unless these things are hermetically-sealed or in a controlled-humidity environment, they start to happen when it gets consistently warmer and more humid. Your system should still be eligible for warranty repairs if you don't want to tackle it yourself. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bjonesAZ
    bjonesAZ Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello,

I've had this Chromebook since fall 2016 and it has worked great until the past year. It began disconnecting from the internet at random times, automatically toggling WiFi off. I would toggle it on and it would slide right back to off. Restarting the computer fixed the problem.

Now, it is randomly disconnecting much more often. This time, I can toggle it back on, but it'll say "WiFi is turned off." After reading a few things online I power washed the Chromebook, which fixed the problem for about a week and a half. Now it's happening again; I power washed it again a few minutes ago, but the problem is persisting.

I heavily depend on this Chromebook for work and school; I'm currently a college student. I don't know anything about assembling or disassembling computers, so I would really appreciate a solution that doesn't involve that; I would probably just make it worse because I don't know what I'm doing. Please help; I'm getting a bit desperate!!
  • JackE
    >>> don't know anything about assembling or disassembling computers, so I would really appreciate a solution that doesn't involve that; I would probably just make it worse because I don't know what I'm doing. Please help; I'm getting a bit desperate!!>>>

You've done the powerwash. It didn't solve the issue this time. Sometimes it means opening the case and reseating the wifi to the mainboard.  I suggest that you call Flagstaff Computers at 2532 N Fourth St. (480) 390-7832 and let them handle it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Philnospill
    Philnospill Member Posts: 1 New User
    We have the same problem - happened about a year after purchase in NZ from PB Tech.   Powerwash does nothing.  It will randomly start working again - so difficult to send for repair as its intermittent and we didnt want to be without it for months (needed it for school).       Luckily its an easy temporary fix by anyone with a small philips screwdriver.   Power it off.  Undo all the screws on the back and carefully lift the back off - Remove the wifi card (has 2 wires attached to it), and reinsert it. I didnt bother removing the wires as they are fiddly.     Put the back back on, and reboot.  It should work - for a couple of months before you need to repeat.   This seems to be a known issue,  and Im pretty disgusted with the hardware quality from Acer on this as I paid extra to get touchscreen etc and assummed this was a quality unit.   The Wifi fault makes it totally unusable.   video on process here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejC_h-l7c1U&ab_channel=TechGuru    Acer should be doing a recall on this as its shoddy hardware
  • JackE
    Sorry. This is a known issue for all removable or replaceable components on all mainboards due mainly to contact & connector corrosion from heat and humidity. That's why mainboards are becoming less upgradeable because components like wifi adapters, cpus, graphics adapters and RAM modules are permanently soldered.

Jack E/NJ