Need to reinstall Win 7 and I need a Windows 7 install disk from Acer

Options
ka9yhd
ka9yhd Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I contacted Acer techincal support on the phone and because this laptop is out of warranty, the automated system transferred me to a 3rd party for help.

Sounded like the 3rd party support is in India because of his broken English that I had a hard time understanding.  This person kept trying to sell me a support package when all I want is the Windows 7 install disk for this laptop from Acer.

If this is how Acer wants to treat people then this will be my last Acer product.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5750-9292 SNID# **********

Yes it is out of warranty and I bought it used on Ebay.

This laptop has an intermittant problem of shutting itself off and because of this Windows will not start correctly.  I can not start any programs.  And when shutting down Windows it hangs and never completes shutting down.

So who do I contact to get the correct Windows 7 install disk?

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

First, check to see if the hidden eRecovery partition on the hard drive is still intact by following this video exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ  If it works, you can recover your machine to a factory-fresh Win7 state.

If it doesn't work, go to store.acer.com. Choose either USA or Canada. In the upper right hand corner click on eRecovery. In the page that pops up, enter your machine's SNID and order either the Win7 eRecovery USB drive or DVD that is specific to your machine. About $20. It should also recover your machine to factory-fresh Win7 state.

Jack E/NJ

PS: You also have the option of saving your personal files in the recovery process. But if any of those files are infected with malware that might be causing your issues, then the machine will eventually be re-infected unless measures are taken to clean them.

Jack E/NJ

• ka9yhd
    Options

No the the eRecovery partition is not there.  I am pretty sure that before they sold this laptop the hard drive was wiped and reformatted.

And I am positive there is no malware on this machine.  As I have Avast and Malware Bytes on this laptop.

Thank you for responding.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>And I am positive there is no malware on this machine.  As I have Avast and Malware Bytes on this laptop.>>>

You have more confidence in these than me. 8^O If you're also positive the hidden partition is wiped and the ALT+F10 recovery method actually fails, then your best bet is to buy the eRecovery USB or DVD media from the ACER store for about $20. The reason being it is specific to your machine with all the correct drivers that usually aren't available in generic Win7 install media. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

I would use something like Belarc to list your machine details and do a print out of stuff like all your serial numbers for the OS, office suite etc etc, if you still can.

• ka9yhd
    Options

I have already purchased the CD.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Fine.