Acer Aspire ES 15 will not install any OS without crashing

jerp456
jerp456 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey,

I have recently (externally) formatted the hard drive on my Aspire ES 15 (ES1-531-C1G1) due to large amounts of other stuff someone else put onto the laptop. However when turning to reinstall another OS, namely windows 7 to begin with, I ran into an issue. The install would get stuck on "starting windows". This problem already normally exists apparently so I decided to try the install with the DVD instead of a usb boot, legacy instead of UEFI and with secure boot turned on and off all to no avail. I also tried making the boot drive "UEFI compatible" by following a YouTube video, however this made no difference.

So I tried Ubuntu (the latest version) and was met with the install crashing with no error after I got enter on the "Install Ubuntu" option, only a black screen. Using the "Try Ubuntu before installing" option also resulted in a black screen. The same results were seen with the LTS version of Ubuntu and both versions of Lubuntu.

To give an idea of specs it has:
Intel Celeron N3050 which I've looked up to be 64 bit here :http://ark.intel.com/products/87257/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3050-2M-Cache-up-to-2_16-GHz
4GB DDR3 L memory
1TB WD Blue HDD

On a slightly related note I did have to unplug the built in keyboard as it was doing phantom inputs, but I don't think this has anything to do with this problem and I have been using an external usb keyboard just fine.

Any idea on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated as I'm dumbfounded as to what on earth is going on.

Thanks