Acer Aspire V5 121 Hard Drive Password and User Password

Options
notone
notone Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Can't get passed the user password at bootup.

I had a hard drive and user password enabled. Wanted to take it off, entered BIOS went to change the password for each, entered the current password then just pressed enter when querried for new password. Saved changes and exited BIOS.

Now I am asked for the current password on inital boot (not windows 8.1 password). Pressing enter without keying anything, or the old password and enter, or any other combination I try results in a "password check fail" warning.

How can I get into my Netbook and correct this problem? It's registered with Acer, but out of warranty so I doubt Acer will assist me at this point.

This unit isn't worth much, but I do have a few files I would like to have access to.

Thanks for any help.

Answers

• notone
    notone Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Update - The IT guy where I used to work suggested taking the battery out for an hour or so and see if that helped. It didn't.

If anyone has worked through a similar issue (see description above) I would appreciate your suggestions/input.

I had planned on donating this one and buying a new one, but it wouldn't be of much use if they can't access the operating system.

Thanks.