Screen bezel hot in middle + yellow tinge on right side of screen, is abnormal?

angomy
angomy Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My brand-new Predator 15 593 has a very slight yellow tinge on the right side of the screen that's only noticeable on predominantly white pages (e.g., Amazon shopping or Google search).  I also noticed that the bezel (to the immediate right of the Predator logo) underneath the screen gets quite hot only in a 2-3 inch area, the other parts of the lower screen-bezel remain cool.

Could this possibly be a defect in the laptop or is this a normal thing ?  I still have a week to exchange if this is a defect, please help.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

It is very common for an IPS to bleed, but it can be noticed when the screen is dark black. But I have never had any yellow tinges anywhere on my screen, so I guess it is a defect with the screen(you can just call Acer and ask them if it is normal). If not exchange your laptop.

'I also noticed that the bezel (to the immediate right of the Predator logo) underneath the screen gets quite hot only in a 2-3 inch area, the other parts of the lower screen-bezel remain cool.'

I also had this on my predator, but not sure whether it is normal. 

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    The yellow tinge is not normal, never saw something like that on an IPS display. If it is too pronounced and it bothers you, send it in for repairs, they can change the display assembly in a blink. As for the heat on the predator logo, it's normal, especially when you think it is the brightest FHD IPS display out of ANY current gen laptop. My GX-792 logo was also hot, but only for about 2 weeks, after that, i only noticed it to be warmer when i overclocked the display from 75Hz to 100Hz, but nothing to worry about. Focus on your yellow tinge and make a decision, IPS displays are of best quality and color reproduction, you shouldn't have that issue
  • angomy
    angomy Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Thank you for your replies.  I brought it back to the store today and at first the returns rep was trying to tell me that all IPS displays had unevenness and started going into IPS glow, but I told him it was definitely not that nor was it backlight bleeding -- it almost looked like the glass itself was discolored.  It remained yellow at all angles and there was no backlight bleed evident.

They had a tech look at it while an exchange unit was being taken care of, and they did notice it immediately (it was like a column 1/3 of the screen (100% of vertical space) on the right side.  

With the new unit now, while I do see a little backlight bleed and some slight unevenness in brightness, I know that's normal (this isn't a high-end panel, so I'm not expecting perfection) and the screen overall looks white on everything I've tried (blank white image, google search page, etc).  So I'm very satisfied with the exchange.  I also noticed that display calibration was a lot better on this new unit -- the old one could not correct gamma at all, I had the slider down to the very bottom and it was still too "bright" (dark circle in the middle of gray, very noticeable).  I could not get the middle circle to blend.  On this new unit, it calibrated gamma no problem (middle circle disappeared with the slider near the middle).

I'm guessing it was just a faulty panel.

Thank you for clarifying on the bezel heat issue.  I haven't owned a laptop in a few years and so I couldn't remember if it was normal (seems that it is).

• Robitzik
    Robitzik Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    are you kidding me man? IPS displays are just awesome, especially the ones on the Predator! Smiley Happy The best color reproduction and quality can be achieved on a 4K IPS display with a 100% adobe RGB color spectrum coverage, that is professional grade reproduction on a gaming laptop! But if you're like me and you like to futureproof, you get the FHD variant and it is still better in any way than any other display from other manufacturers, seriously, maybe just the refresh rate is not as good as a display from the current gen Asus laptops but i would definitely trade that for accurate color and very bright display! I was pleasantly surprised that my unit, GX-792 has no backlight bleed at all, maybe i was lucky, my previous Asus G751 had some noticeable bleed and also color reproduction has no comparison, also brightness, compared side by side, the Predator was just gorgeous. Happy to know you got a replacement and hope you enjoy! Cheers!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

Very well that you exchanged the laptop. IPS displays are really the best and I was really amazed by the 4k IPS display on my gx-791. It looked great on the reviews but it just looks fabulous when you see it with your own eyes. I won't ever use TN panels again after seeing IPS, not to mention that TN panels use PWM to regulate the brightness, which is bad for the eyes when under 100% brightness. 75Hz and being able to overclock it to 100Hz is not bad at all, especially considering that most AAA games will run around 100fps range on full hd graphics with GTX 1080.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!