New S271HL , first come, first serve ?

Options
louwho
louwho Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have a desktop with the new Acer monitor as the second monitor, attached to the DVI input.  I got a laptop now, and have attached that to the Acre HDMI input.  

If I start the desktop first, the new monitor is used by the desktop as the second display.  If I start the laptop first, the new monitor, as used as the first display.

If I start the desktop first, it grabs the new monitor as its second display, if I then start the laptop, I do not seem to be able to get to the new monitor.  I used the buttons underneath, specifically the Input, and it cycles through the three possible inputs, but it keeps returning to the desktop.  I am not able to get it to go to the laptop.   

What is the secret to switching bewteen the different systems?  It is supposed to cycle to the next available system and stop there, until you hit the button agin, and it then searches for the next one.  Or, are you supposed to (as it is cyclying through the display input types), supposed to push the input button X number of times, as it comes to the one that you want?  Obviously, I am new to this.

Is there any possible confusion, because for the laptop, I am connected to a base station?  I have connected to the S271HL HDMI input using a HDMI cable, but on the other end (the docking station), it does not have a HDMI port (the laptop does, but not the docking station), so I have a HDMI to DVI adaptor.