Predator G-9-791 - unable to make new EVO 960 running

jj284b
jj284b Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

recently bought new EVO 960 250Gb, installed it into 2280 slot, BIOS sees the SSD, but recovery tool always installs the windows to old Toshiba HDD. So i just clonned the windows to the SSD, but no matter what i do, it just wont boot from SSD.. 

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

cloning is not the best thing especially from HDD to SSD, since windows triggers some optimisation during installation.

one quick way, is to disconnect the HDD, install windows and then reconnect it, double check on BIOS to have AHCI mode selected and not RAID.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I had this same problem...ended up just going to an 850 evo m.2 in Rapid mode.  Hope you can get yours going as I am still wondering what the problem was.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

cloning is not the best thing especially from HDD to SSD, since windows triggers some optimisation during installation.

one quick way, is to disconnect the HDD, install windows and then reconnect it, double check on BIOS to have AHCI mode selected and not RAID.

• jj284b

thing is, i only have the recovery drive, and it completely ignores the SSD for some reason.. old HDD is screwed with some star screws i dont have a screwdiver for.. so im stuck

• jj284b

dmn, i managed to pull it out.. and laptop booted up with the SSD....

• IronFly

yep, that's normal.

since you cloned the 2 drives, both have the EFI partition and BIOS can't "understand" which one will boot, so it stays with the "older" installation.

to avoid booting from HDD, you need to delete the EFI partition on it.

• jj284b

also, i have updated the BIOS to the latest, which i didnt had before (had 1.04, now its 1.10)