New G9-793-79PE screen flickering

Hatiwolf
Hatiwolf Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I picked this laptop up a few weeks ago and just got around to working with it this week since I had time off after a month of 14 hour days. My excitement to finally play with it has turned miserable with the screen randomly flickering every 5 or so seconds. Has anyone actually solved this issue on the newer machines? I found old threads with links to fix the drivers but when I click on them they are invalid. If you have the problem is the only solution to take it back to the store for a refund or does a repair exist?

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have this same unit and I'm not having any issues like you are describing...in fact not to jinx myself but I absolutely love this thing!  You have a fine unit.  I might start by installing new graphics drivers...use the geforce experience app on your system and try an express install on the latest drivers. 

(go to the search bar next to the start button and type geforce and the geforce experience app will pop up).

• Hatiwolf

I think it was one of your posts to someone else where I read that idea. Took almost an hour and I finally fell asleep trying to get it to accept my login last night and I was cloning a 2gb hybrid drive so im just getting to update it as im typing this. Im used to cheap hp laptops that ive used for the last 10 years. A friend I talk to daily in Virginia sold me on stuffing a predator on my amex. I happened to catch this one at 500 off at micro center in store only. Could have picked up the 8 gb video for only 1400 as the floor model but without more ram I passed. Sadly the average gaming ill be doing on here for a while is eye of the beholder, warcraft 1&2, baldurs gate and such. Thinking this is where I should learn how to plug it into the 65" tv and see what all it can do other than just boring documents and printing for work documents. Making this a simple work machine would be a shame.

NvTelemetry section of the install failed but it seems to have cleared up the problem mostly. Trying again. My friend ended up getting the exact model but had to send his to acer for a hardware issue because he didnt want to open it and void the warranty.

• Hatiwolf

And now it keeps saying something went wrong and to try restarting GeForce Experience but that isnt helping. I broke GeForce.

• AVJim

Oh darn...Yes it worked for the other gentleman, we were almost on a roll!  Man you got a good deal on it might as well enjoy what it can do.  I don't know maybe someone else wants to pitch in an idea but if I was you I might do an uninstall on the driver while in safe mode and then manually reinstall the driver.  I would love to be using my predator at work but I carry a suped up understated HP (and a Mac for programming the Savant System we specialize in(not a Mac fan)) so I look serious!

• Hatiwolf

Uninstall the driver or Geforce Experience? I cant get it to work at all now.

• Hatiwolf

And I dont know exactly what driver to look for. Just holy moly. Figured I wouldnt have these probelms out of the box spending this much on a machine.

• AVJim

Try here and follow the just follow the menus if possible:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Do a manual driver search...I think you have the 1060 right? follow the dialogue and it will take you to a list of like the last 25 versions of the driver.  Try the newest and maybe work back a little if you need to. 

Just the driver.  What happens when you try to update through the geforce experience?

• Hatiwolf

Cant even use the geforce experience anymore. Trying to download the drivers manually from the geforce website now.