Acer predator 15 G9-593 G-Sync Issue

Nismoair
Nismoair Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi

Just got the laptop and think it is great. However, I'm getting serious screen tearing issues and yet it is g-sync.

Any ideas on why I am experiencing this? I don't think I should have to use Fast sync or other methods. I've had a g-sync monitor before (albeit that ran at 144Hz) but the laptop screen is only 60Hz. Could the refresh rate be the problem?

Thanks

Answers

• FuchsHH
    FuchsHH Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Same here. Almost every game I get screen tearing when G-Sync is enabled. I already disabled it in my global Nvidia settings just using normal V-Sync. 

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

G-Sync only kicks in if the framerate is below the refresh rate of the monitor...in other words for g-sync to be effective on a 60hz monitor you would want to limit your frames to 59 fps.  At 60fps and above you will still get tearing.

Some 60 hz panels will overclock to 75hz...then you can run at a g-synced rate of 74 fps.  Many 75hz panels will run overclocked at 100hz...always do the online frame-skipping tests to be sure you are not dropping frames.

• Nismoair
    Nismoair Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Thanks for the replies.

It's a shame they used a 60Hz panel. The 1070 seems to be bottle necked by the panel. I get that the laptop has good video connections to allow output to 60Hz+ monitors but who does that frequently if at all with a laptop, really? Gsync with fast sync enabled seems to be the best compromise and pretty much sorts it out.

For some reason Gta 5 seems to be worse. Still get tearing with other games but doesn't seem as bad as gta.
  • AVJim

Yes fast sync kicks in when the framerate is above the refresh rate of the monitor so it is cleaning up the tearing for you most of the time.  Nvidia says that g-sync and fast sync are meant to be used together...the g-sync working below the refresh rate and the fast sync for when framerate is above the refresh rate.  For me it feels a little strange when I use them both together...kind of laggy.  For me fast-sync gives me little micro-studders at times so I don't use it much anymore.

For high-frame rate fps type games like quake...unreal...doom...Battlefield 1... I run wide open with no g-sync or fast sync...just feels better...most pro gamers roll this way and live with the tearing.  For games where it doesn't matter as much like world of tanks/warships I overclock my panel to 100 hz and run v-sync for a smooth tear-free experience.

That is a shame they only are using a 60hz panel.  It is very easy to overclock your panel though so I would consider it.

• AVJim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni82DDlmysk

Youtube on how to OC a Nvidia Panel.