Trying to install a NVME drive.

AVJim
AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have a NVME m.2 ready to go in as my main hard drive but the cloning of the sata 3 m.2 where my c drive is currently installed is turning out to be a challenge.  I am trying to put the m.2 sata 3 in an external enclosure and boot off of it and then use the Samsung Data Migration program to clone to the m.2 NVME which goes into the slot in the back of my laptop under the door.  (my g9 has one slot in the back that will take either an m.2 sata 3 or an m.2 NVME but not both)  I can't seem to get the system to boot with my main c drive installed in an external m.2 sata 3 to usb enclosure.  When I go to the bios to change boot priority no matter what I put at the top of the list it won't boot off of it so I can't clone...any help or advice would be appreciated.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,100 Trailblazer

Hi,

Install a spare HDD in the laptop, use MiniTool Partition Wizard to migrate the M.2 SATA SSD to HDD, then remove the M.2 SATA SSD and install M.2 NVMe SSD, use MiniTool to migrate the contents of HDD to NVMe SSD.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Capture.JPG

• AVJim

I went through the minitool os migration twice and both times it got all done and boot failure . 

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer

what message do you get exactly if you try booting?

Can you just attach the NVME and try it?

I would suggest to do an backup (with the NVME attached!!!) of your OS. If you can to an USB drive.

Then attach the NVME only and the USB drive and restore the backup.

To be able to boot the NVME the driver must be already installed, so you must do this backup, after you installed the NVME to the "old" OS.

• AVJim

Just trying to get it to boot off the working m.2 sata in an external enclosure with the nvme in the slot in the back of my laptop even though it recognizes the drive enclosure and I tell it to boot off of it I keep getting the same error stop code:  INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

I had used my stock 1 tb 7200 spinning drive to clone the m.2 sata drive to then cloned that image onto the nvme drive with the nvme drive in the slot...same issue when I did it that way...when I would finish the cloning and go to boot off the nvme it would give same message  INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE...

If I could get it to boot off the external m.2 in usb enclosure I would probably use the samsung data migration to do the cloning as it seems to be pretty bullet proof in the few times I have  used it.

Thanks you guys for your time on this by the way!

• AVJim
  • daga89
    daga89 Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter

men, do you have a skylake procesor or a kabylake?

and whats you laptop model bro??

• AVJim

I'm 6700hq skylake man.  My model is G9-793-79PE with gtx 1060.

• brummyfan2

Hi Jim,

Have you tried removing the 1TB HDD after cloning and with only the NVMe SSD installed?

• daga89

are you shure your Intel core I7 6¨th generation its cappable of a NVM.e SSD? i read before intel skylake its not capable of a NVM.e SSD or if its, it will not give you the full speed of an NVM.e, I hope I'm wrong but i read that, i cant find the research men, so i hope thats not your case, and you get that NVM.e SSd running at full speed.

• daga89

by the way i have the Predator 17 G9-793 too but the GTX 1070 version.

• AVJim

I did try just running with just the NVME installed butt didn't seem to help brummyfan2.

Hey Daga89 thanks man I appreciate it.  It could be a skylake issue for all I know...I'll have to look into that a little more. 

• brummyfan2

Hi Jim,

You could try two methods, use Macrium Reflect free, backup your HDD to an external HDD, create a recovery disk with Macrium Reflect, then remove HDD and install the SSD, boot with the MR recovery disk and recover the image from the backup(external HDD).

The other method is to do a clean install of Windows 10 with a bootable USB created with Windows Media creation tool.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create-bootable-usb-flash-drive-install-windows-10-a.html

• AVJim

Thanks brummyfan2 for all the excellent feedback...I'll bet one of these options is going to work out.

• AVJim

daga89... thats a sweet unit...perfect GPU for these laptops really. 

• AVJim

Trying tonight the Macrium method you recommended brummyfan2.  I'll report back here the results.

• AVJim

Well it got all the way through cloning on to the nvme and then....would not boot again...inaccessible boot device...I give up...I'm just going to take the NVME drive back as I've already put many hours into this and it just isn't worth it. 

Thanks for the help everyone.

• doinee
    doinee Member Posts: 1 New User

Have you updated the BIOS? One of the updates enables booting off of NVME drives, IIRC.