Thermal Compund Replacement

Savitar
Savitar Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask something. If I took my Acer Aspire V Nitro Black Edition to the Acer Service Center and ask them to replace my thermal compound, will they do it? And if they do will they use the same crappy thermal paste that they used when shipping these laptops?.. Mine is the Core i5 6300HQ and GTX960M variant.. The CPU gets really hot while gaming.. Around 90 degrees Celsius.. I've tried most of the solutions here at the forum but with no luck.. And considering how hard it is to disassemble this particular laptop I don't want to break it..

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

It's not too bad, as long as the high temps not crashing your system/shutdown, you can carry on using it but keep monitoring the temperatures. Have you tried using a cooling pad? Another method to consider to reduce the heat is to use Throttlestop to undervolt.

Disassembly of this model is slightly more difficult than other models but if you allocate enough time and good preparation, it's doable, allocate enough time for the task, make note of everything with pictures/videos, get an anti-static wrist strap, watch few videos to familiarise with the procedure. 

If you don't want to do it by yourself, get it done by a local repair shop.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-607#post-10538765

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhqm2yg_aiI

• Savitar
    Savitar Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah it's not crashing my system or anything and yes I use a cooling pad and I also have tried Undervolting to about -70mV.. It's stable at this voltage.. I've actually opened it up once to upgrade my RAM sticks but I couldn't figure out how to open up the heatsinks to apply thermal paste else I would have done it the first time.. Maybe I'll try taking it to a local Acer Service Centre and have them do it for me.. Thanks for the reply.. I guess I should've bought the Dell Inspiron model with the same specs as this.. I've seen some reviews that says the thermals on that is impressive