Aspire VN7-792G Should I update the graphics card?

Options
animaag
animaag Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I have a question about my laptop with dual graphics. I'm having difficulties with one particular game and after deprecating all other solutions I came here. I have a game that has awful screen tearing. After forcing v-sync and triple buffering it didn't resolve the issue. Then I dug deeper and found out that I have newer drivers than Acer offers on its website for my laptop. 

I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 960m and an Intel card, both have newer drivers. Is it OK that I have newer drivers than Acer supports? Might this cause issues when playing games? Should I revert back to original factory drivers and disable Windows Update and GeForce Experience from updating them?

Any help regarding this issue is very much appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

nope, older drivers like Acer's one can give issues on newer games, so using drivers from nvidia or intel is ok.

about tearing, search on google if someone else is having the same issue with that game; keep it mind that newer drivers/fix from nvidia (if aware) can solve your issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • animaag
    Options

Thank you for your fast reply!

It's good to know that it's better to have newer drivers. About the game issue - I have been fixing the game the whole day to no avail. Right now I'm downloading another game to see if it too has a screen tearing issue.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if possible try to enable/disable v-sync from game or nvidia control panel, sometimes nvidia works better, sometimes in game option works better

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • animaag
    Options

As I already mentioned I have tried that. I just recently restored my PC to factory settings. I'm going to check if this solved my issue.

Thanks for your help!